May 3, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby has a knack for nailing returns from injuries. The New York Islanders know that all too well. (In fact, this post’s main image comes from a previous triumphant return.)
He torched a weaker Isles team in his memorable comeback from a lengthy battle with concussion issues in November 2011 and already has two goals in Game 2 of their first-round series on Friday:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Evgeni Malkin opened up Friday’s scoring just 43 seconds in and assisted on Crosby’s power-play marker.
Note that Crosby scored those two tallies just 7:22 into the game, with the first one coming 3:19 in.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe notes that this represents an even swifter return than the last time the 25-year-old star returned against the Islanders; he needed 5:24 to find the net against the Islanders on November 21, 2011.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 3
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 39
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1