May 3, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby has a knack for nailing returns from injuries. The New York Islanders know that all too well. (In fact, this post’s main image comes from a previous triumphant return.)
He torched a weaker Isles team in his memorable comeback from a lengthy battle with concussion issues in November 2011 and already has two goals in Game 2 of their first-round series on Friday:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Evgeni Malkin opened up Friday’s scoring just 43 seconds in and assisted on Crosby’s power-play marker.
Note that Crosby scored those two tallies just 7:22 into the game, with the first one coming 3:19 in.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe notes that this represents an even swifter return than the last time the 25-year-old star returned against the Islanders; he needed 5:24 to find the net against the Islanders on November 21, 2011.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)