May 3, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby has a knack for nailing returns from injuries. The New York Islanders know that all too well. (In fact, this post’s main image comes from a previous triumphant return.)
He torched a weaker Isles team in his memorable comeback from a lengthy battle with concussion issues in November 2011 and already has two goals in Game 2 of their first-round series on Friday:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Evgeni Malkin opened up Friday’s scoring just 43 seconds in and assisted on Crosby’s power-play marker.
Note that Crosby scored those two tallies just 7:22 into the game, with the first one coming 3:19 in.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe notes that this represents an even swifter return than the last time the 25-year-old star returned against the Islanders; he needed 5:24 to find the net against the Islanders on November 21, 2011.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5