May 3, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby has a knack for nailing returns from injuries. The New York Islanders know that all too well. (In fact, this post’s main image comes from a previous triumphant return.)
He torched a weaker Isles team in his memorable comeback from a lengthy battle with concussion issues in November 2011 and already has two goals in Game 2 of their first-round series on Friday:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Evgeni Malkin opened up Friday’s scoring just 43 seconds in and assisted on Crosby’s power-play marker.
Note that Crosby scored those two tallies just 7:22 into the game, with the first one coming 3:19 in.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe notes that this represents an even swifter return than the last time the 25-year-old star returned against the Islanders; he needed 5:24 to find the net against the Islanders on November 21, 2011.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)