May 3, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby has a knack for nailing returns from injuries. The New York Islanders know that all too well. (In fact, this post’s main image comes from a previous triumphant return.)
He torched a weaker Isles team in his memorable comeback from a lengthy battle with concussion issues in November 2011 and already has two goals in Game 2 of their first-round series on Friday:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Evgeni Malkin opened up Friday’s scoring just 43 seconds in and assisted on Crosby’s power-play marker.
Note that Crosby scored those two tallies just 7:22 into the game, with the first one coming 3:19 in.
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe notes that this represents an even swifter return than the last time the 25-year-old star returned against the Islanders; he needed 5:24 to find the net against the Islanders on November 21, 2011.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)