May 3, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Team USA coach Joe Sacco is going with the guy he knows best to be the team’s leader at the IIHF World Championships.
USA Hockey announced Avalanche center Paul Stastny as the captain of this year’s squad. A pair of Lightning players will wear the “A” as forward Nate Thompson and defenseman Matt Carle were named alternates.
The Americans are trying to improve on last year’s seventh place finish at Worlds. Going without most of the high-level talent hurts most teams thanks to the Stanley Cup playoffs, but this is the final international tune-up before the Olympics in Sochi in February.
Team USA will kick off play at Worlds tomorrow against Thomas Vanek and Austria in Helsinki, Finland.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 13
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)