May 3, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
Team USA coach Joe Sacco is going with the guy he knows best to be the team’s leader at the IIHF World Championships.
USA Hockey announced Avalanche center Paul Stastny as the captain of this year’s squad. A pair of Lightning players will wear the “A” as forward Nate Thompson and defenseman Matt Carle were named alternates.
The Americans are trying to improve on last year’s seventh place finish at Worlds. Going without most of the high-level talent hurts most teams thanks to the Stanley Cup playoffs, but this is the final international tune-up before the Olympics in Sochi in February.
Team USA will kick off play at Worlds tomorrow against Thomas Vanek and Austria in Helsinki, Finland.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)