May 3, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Team USA coach Joe Sacco is going with the guy he knows best to be the team’s leader at the IIHF World Championships.
USA Hockey announced Avalanche center Paul Stastny as the captain of this year’s squad. A pair of Lightning players will wear the “A” as forward Nate Thompson and defenseman Matt Carle were named alternates.
The Americans are trying to improve on last year’s seventh place finish at Worlds. Going without most of the high-level talent hurts most teams thanks to the Stanley Cup playoffs, but this is the final international tune-up before the Olympics in Sochi in February.
Team USA will kick off play at Worlds tomorrow against Thomas Vanek and Austria in Helsinki, Finland.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)