May 3, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Martin Havlat has been ruled out of the Sharks’ Game 2 Western Conference quarterfinal against the Canucks.
Havlat, 32, appeared to be injured on a spear from Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa midway through the first period of Game 1.
The Czech winger was visibly in pain at the time of the incident and hasn’t been on the ice since, failing to practice with the Sharks on Friday.
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment on Thursday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
Pollak also spoke to Bieksa about the incident.
“Havlat? I don’t remember that,” he explained. “I don’t remember. I’ll have to watch it over again to see what you’re talking about.”
San Jose forward Adam Burish also had something to say about the incident.
“Doesn’t surprise me,” he said of the alleged spear,” coming from [Bieksa].”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)