May 3, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Martin Havlat has been ruled out of the Sharks’ Game 2 Western Conference quarterfinal against the Canucks.
Havlat, 32, appeared to be injured on a spear from Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa midway through the first period of Game 1.
The Czech winger was visibly in pain at the time of the incident and hasn’t been on the ice since, failing to practice with the Sharks on Friday.
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment on Thursday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
Pollak also spoke to Bieksa about the incident.
“Havlat? I don’t remember that,” he explained. “I don’t remember. I’ll have to watch it over again to see what you’re talking about.”
San Jose forward Adam Burish also had something to say about the incident.
“Doesn’t surprise me,” he said of the alleged spear,” coming from [Bieksa].”
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 25
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 2
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)