May 3, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Martin Havlat has been ruled out of the Sharks’ Game 2 Western Conference quarterfinal against the Canucks.
Havlat, 32, appeared to be injured on a spear from Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa midway through the first period of Game 1.
The Czech winger was visibly in pain at the time of the incident and hasn’t been on the ice since, failing to practice with the Sharks on Friday.
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment on Thursday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
Pollak also spoke to Bieksa about the incident.
“Havlat? I don’t remember that,” he explained. “I don’t remember. I’ll have to watch it over again to see what you’re talking about.”
San Jose forward Adam Burish also had something to say about the incident.
“Doesn’t surprise me,” he said of the alleged spear,” coming from [Bieksa].”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)