May 3, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Martin Havlat has been ruled out of the Sharks’ Game 2 Western Conference quarterfinal against the Canucks.
Havlat, 32, appeared to be injured on a spear from Vancouver defenseman Kevin Bieksa midway through the first period of Game 1.
The Czech winger was visibly in pain at the time of the incident and hasn’t been on the ice since, failing to practice with the Sharks on Friday.
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Havlat was at the rink getting treatment on Thursday, but declined a request to speak with reporters.
Pollak also spoke to Bieksa about the incident.
“Havlat? I don’t remember that,” he explained. “I don’t remember. I’ll have to watch it over again to see what you’re talking about.”
San Jose forward Adam Burish also had something to say about the incident.
“Doesn’t surprise me,” he said of the alleged spear,” coming from [Bieksa].”
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)