May 3, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has been happier with his team’s defense (in the big picture) since adding some young blood, but that group took a big hit when it became clear that rookie Danny DeKeyser suffered a season-ending broken thumb.
“He’s smart, knows how to play and competes hard,” Babcock said. “He makes a good first pass and he’s a good penalty killer.”
While the rotations could change, Babcock said that he expects the 22-year-old to take DeKeyser’s spot alongside Jakub Kindl on Saturday.
You can watch Game 3 of the Red Wings-Anaheim Ducks first-round series starting at 7:30 pm ET on NBC Sports Network.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)