May 3, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has been happier with his team’s defense (in the big picture) since adding some young blood, but that group took a big hit when it became clear that rookie Danny DeKeyser suffered a season-ending broken thumb.
“He’s smart, knows how to play and competes hard,” Babcock said. “He makes a good first pass and he’s a good penalty killer.”
While the rotations could change, Babcock said that he expects the 22-year-old to take DeKeyser’s spot alongside Jakub Kindl on Saturday.
You can watch Game 3 of the Red Wings-Anaheim Ducks first-round series starting at 7:30 pm ET on NBC Sports Network.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 6
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 29
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 27
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41