May 3, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has been happier with his team’s defense (in the big picture) since adding some young blood, but that group took a big hit when it became clear that rookie Danny DeKeyser suffered a season-ending broken thumb.
“He’s smart, knows how to play and competes hard,” Babcock said. “He makes a good first pass and he’s a good penalty killer.”
While the rotations could change, Babcock said that he expects the 22-year-old to take DeKeyser’s spot alongside Jakub Kindl on Saturday.
You can watch Game 3 of the Red Wings-Anaheim Ducks first-round series starting at 7:30 pm ET on NBC Sports Network.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)