May 3, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have been blessed with the return of Sidney Crosby (plus early tallies by both Crosby and Evgeni Malkin) on Friday, but it’s inaccurate to say that they’re at full strength. Key pieces James Neal and Brooks Orpik are on the sidelines for Game 2.
In just his second contest back from an upper-body issue, Neal limped off the ice in Game 1. The winger scored a hat trick and an assist in his return on April 27, but didn’t collect a point in his eight minutes of time on Wednesday.
Orpik has been sidelined with a lower-body injury of his own since April 23. There was some conjecture that he might return against the New York islanders tonight, but it seems that the Penguins are playing it safe.
The game is currently taking place on NBC Sports Network.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)