May 3, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have been blessed with the return of Sidney Crosby (plus early tallies by both Crosby and Evgeni Malkin) on Friday, but it’s inaccurate to say that they’re at full strength. Key pieces James Neal and Brooks Orpik are on the sidelines for Game 2.
In just his second contest back from an upper-body issue, Neal limped off the ice in Game 1. The winger scored a hat trick and an assist in his return on April 27, but didn’t collect a point in his eight minutes of time on Wednesday.
Orpik has been sidelined with a lower-body injury of his own since April 23. There was some conjecture that he might return against the New York islanders tonight, but it seems that the Penguins are playing it safe.
The game is currently taking place on NBC Sports Network.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)