May 3, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
The eighth seed New York Islanders came into the 2013 playoffs as an underdog, yet they also made a lot of noise late in the season as one of the East’s hottest finishing teams. If the Pittsburgh Penguins didn’t take them seriously before, they should have after the Isles erased a 3-1 deficit to win Game 2 4-3 on Friday.
After some rough times, Evgeni Nabokov kept the Penguins off the scoreboard after they scored their third goal five minutes in* to the second period. The 37-year-old goalie believes this victory provides evidence that the Islanders should be taken seriously.
“It’s huge,” Nabokov said. “For us being in the playoffs & losing the 1st game the way we did, this game was a little bit of a statement game.”
The veteran netminder stopped 30 out of 33 shots.
Head coach Jack Capuano raved about his team’s overall effort.
“You saw a different team than you saw in Game 1,” Capuano said. “Our work ethic, physicality and battle level was there tonight. Everyone contributed.”
* – Technically 4:58.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)