May 3, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
While John Tavares is the New York Islanders’ biggest star, Kyle Okposo might just be their biggest wild card. He’s been hot lately and showed how much of a difference-maker he can be in a 4-3 comeback win in Game 2.
Okposo dropped his gloves with Matt Niskanen (pleasing throwback fans) in the second period and then scored the game-winner midway through the final frame:
Sure, the 25-year-old got more than a little luck there, but he was still an impact player.
So how did the inexperienced underdogs keep their heads even when they were down 3-1? Okposo explained their mindset.
“We didn’t panic,” Okposo said. “We just kept going at them and found a way to win. That was a big win for us.”
Matt Martin scored the 3-3 goal. He provided a pretty calm explanation for the victory.
“We knew if we kept playing how we were, we’d be able to chip away at it,” Martin said. “It’s only one game but it’s a step in the right direction.”
And now a 1-1 series shifts in the direction of Nassau Coliseum.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)