May 3, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
While John Tavares is the New York Islanders’ biggest star, Kyle Okposo might just be their biggest wild card. He’s been hot lately and showed how much of a difference-maker he can be in a 4-3 comeback win in Game 2.
Okposo dropped his gloves with Matt Niskanen (pleasing throwback fans) in the second period and then scored the game-winner midway through the final frame:
Sure, the 25-year-old got more than a little luck there, but he was still an impact player.
So how did the inexperienced underdogs keep their heads even when they were down 3-1? Okposo explained their mindset.
“We didn’t panic,” Okposo said. “We just kept going at them and found a way to win. That was a big win for us.”
Matt Martin scored the 3-3 goal. He provided a pretty calm explanation for the victory.
“We knew if we kept playing how we were, we’d be able to chip away at it,” Martin said. “It’s only one game but it’s a step in the right direction.”
And now a 1-1 series shifts in the direction of Nassau Coliseum.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)