May 3, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
Inspired by Brandon Prust‘s comments about Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean — you know, the “bug-eyed fat walrus” thing — we figured now was a good time to look back at some of the most infamous insults in NHL history.
Here they are, in no particular order.
Jim Schoenfeld on Don Koharski:
“You fell, you fat pig! Have another doughnut!”
After Game 3 of the 1988 Prince of Wales Conference Finals between Boston and New Jersey, Schoenfeld went after Koharski, who proceeded to slip and fall, then blame the spill on Schoenfeld — alleging the Devils coach pushed him.
Koharski yelled “you’re done” several times, suggesting Schoenfeld would be suspended for physically attacking an on-ice official.
To which Schoenfeld responded with one of the most unforgettable lines ever.
The league did suspend Schoenfeld for Game 4, but a judge later overturned the decision. As a result, the officials refused to work the game and, after a three-hour delay, three local refs had to be called in.
Schoenfeld apologized to Koharski for the outburst and, four years later, the incident would be cemented in pop culture lore:
Alain Vigneault on Dave Bolland:
“He has a face that only a mother could look at.”
“His IQ is probably the size of a birdseed.”
In Dec. 2011, the Canucks head coach offered this up in response to Bolland mocking Daniel and Henrik Sedin on Chicago’s WGN Radio, calling them “sisters” and suggesting they sleep in bunk beds.
Bolland later apologized for his actions, saying his comments were “a little bit of tongue-in-cheek” before adding he had “the utmost respect” for the twins.
Sean Avery on Dion Phaneuf:
“It’s become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds.”
Avery dropped this bomb in 2008, prior to a game between his Dallas Stars and the Calgary Flames. The Flames were led by defenseman Dion Phaneuf, who at the time was dating Avery’s ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert.
(The shot also extended to Kings forward Jarret Stoll, who was dating another of Avery’s exes, Rachel Hunter.)
Avery was suspended six games for the incident and never played another game in a Stars uniform.
Dino Ciccarelli on Claude Lemieux:
“I can’t believe I shook this guy’s friggin’ hand after the game. That pisses me right off.”
This was in response to Lemieux’s awful hit on Kris Draper during the 1996 Western Conference finals.
After the Avs dispatched of the Red Wings to advance to the Stanley Cup finals, Detroit forward Cicarelli was visibly upset with the fact he had to embrace Lemieux during the ceremonial post-series handshake line.
“It’s a cheap, dirty hit. I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars.”
He then went on to rip the entire Penguins franchise.
“It’s one of the most arrogant organizations in the league. They whine about this stuff all the time, and look what happens. It’s ridiculous, but they’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they?
“Starting with their two [expletive] stars.”
Bobby Clarke on Eric Lindros:
“I don’t dislike Eric. I pity him. I feel sorry for him. What’s it like to be 27 years old and have your mom and dad running your life? Can’t even go to the … doctor on your own without your mom and dad coming along.”
Clarke said this in 2000, at the tail-end of a long running saga between him, Philly’s team physicians, Lindros and Lindros’ parents, Carl and Bonnie.
It marked the apex of the Clarke-Lindros feud, which the two eventually buried prior to the 2012 Winter Classic in Philadelphia.
But, if you’re into nostalgia, there’s a full timeline of the Clarke-Lindros feud right here.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)