May 3, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
After his Canadiens made a statement in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal against Ottawa, head coach Michel Therrien made one of his own.
“By the way, number 61 is Raphael Diaz,” he told reporters following the contest. “Just in case they don’t know.”
Diaz was roundly criticized for throwing Eller a suicide pass.
MacLean took it a step further by claiming he didn’t know who Diaz was.
“I thought player 61, if I’m … was it Eller that got hit? I’m really mad at player 61, whoever he is,” MacLean said during his postgame press conference. “Because he passed me the puck in the middle of the rink when I wasn’t looking, and that’s always been a dangerous place.”
It’s possible Friday’s performance made MacLean aware of who Diaz is.
While he wasn’t the star of Friday’s 3-1 victory — that honor went to goalie Carey Price, who stopped 30 of 31 shots — the Swiss blueliner was definitely a factor.
Diaz played 22:49 (only PK Subban saw more ice) and finished with four shots, four blocks, three hits and a plus-1 rating.
He was also the catalyst for a pretty good line from his head coach, who did a masterful job of rallying his troops.
Chalk it up to Therrien, who showed the utmost confidence in his group.
“I didn’t ask my team to bounce back,” he said. “I told them to play the same way. As a coach this is the only thing I ask.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)