May 3, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
After his Canadiens made a statement in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal against Ottawa, head coach Michel Therrien made one of his own.
“By the way, number 61 is Raphael Diaz,” he told reporters following the contest. “Just in case they don’t know.”
Diaz was roundly criticized for throwing Eller a suicide pass.
MacLean took it a step further by claiming he didn’t know who Diaz was.
“I thought player 61, if I’m … was it Eller that got hit? I’m really mad at player 61, whoever he is,” MacLean said during his postgame press conference. “Because he passed me the puck in the middle of the rink when I wasn’t looking, and that’s always been a dangerous place.”
It’s possible Friday’s performance made MacLean aware of who Diaz is.
While he wasn’t the star of Friday’s 3-1 victory — that honor went to goalie Carey Price, who stopped 30 of 31 shots — the Swiss blueliner was definitely a factor.
Diaz played 22:49 (only PK Subban saw more ice) and finished with four shots, four blocks, three hits and a plus-1 rating.
He was also the catalyst for a pretty good line from his head coach, who did a masterful job of rallying his troops.
Chalk it up to Therrien, who showed the utmost confidence in his group.
“I didn’t ask my team to bounce back,” he said. “I told them to play the same way. As a coach this is the only thing I ask.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)