May 3, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
The NHL’s Department of Player Safety ruled that Gryba “made Eller’s head the principal point of conduct, causing a serious injury.”
According to the ruling, Gryba did not make “enough of a full-body check” for the hit to be deemed legal.
Gryba was given a five-minute major for interference and a game misconduct on the play.
Eller has since been released from the hospital.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35