May 3, 2013, 5:29 PM EDT
The NHL’s Department of Player Safety ruled that Gryba “made Eller’s head the principal point of conduct, causing a serious injury.”
According to the ruling, Gryba did not make “enough of a full-body check” for the hit to be deemed legal.
Gryba was given a five-minute major for interference and a game misconduct on the play.
Eller has since been released from the hospital.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 0
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 11
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25