May 3, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Game 2 of the Western Conference quarterfinal between Detroit and Anaheim had it all — tons of scoring, a huge comeback and a dramatic OT winner to end it.
And Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau hated it.
Well, hated the role his team played in the excitement, anyway.
“It was awful,” Boudreau told the LA Times. “I have no answer for you at this point. Four goals in the first four shifts of the game is pretty amazing, and three of them were on the power play.”
Boudreau is referring to his team’s inability to stop Detroit from 1) scoring in the opening minutes of periods, and 2) scoring with the man advantage.
Justin Abdelkader potted the game’s first goal just 48 seconds into the first period. Then Johan Frazen scored 1:04 into the second period.
Franzen did it again to start the third — just 20 seconds in — and Gustav Nyquist scored 1:21 into overtime to win it.
What’s more, three of these goals came with the man advantage, including Nyquist’s game-winner. Detroit went 3-for-6 on the power play all told, this after going 1-for-4 in the series opener.
While the Ducks had to be happy with their resilience — they scored three goals in a 10-minute span in the third to erase a 4-1 deficit — they weren’t happy with much else.
Especially the penalty kill.
“We can’t keep taking penalties, because their power play was good for them tonight like it was for us in Game 1,” said captain Ryan Getzlaf. “It was tough being shorthanded.
“But we’ll take a look and shore things up defensively and be ready for the next one.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)