May 3, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Game 2 of the Western Conference quarterfinal between Detroit and Anaheim had it all — tons of scoring, a huge comeback and a dramatic OT winner to end it.
And Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau hated it.
Well, hated the role his team played in the excitement, anyway.
“It was awful,” Boudreau told the LA Times. “I have no answer for you at this point. Four goals in the first four shifts of the game is pretty amazing, and three of them were on the power play.”
Boudreau is referring to his team’s inability to stop Detroit from 1) scoring in the opening minutes of periods, and 2) scoring with the man advantage.
Justin Abdelkader potted the game’s first goal just 48 seconds into the first period. Then Johan Frazen scored 1:04 into the second period.
Franzen did it again to start the third — just 20 seconds in — and Gustav Nyquist scored 1:21 into overtime to win it.
What’s more, three of these goals came with the man advantage, including Nyquist’s game-winner. Detroit went 3-for-6 on the power play all told, this after going 1-for-4 in the series opener.
While the Ducks had to be happy with their resilience – they scored three goals in a 10-minute span in the third to erase a 4-1 deficit — they weren’t happy with much else.
Especially the penalty kill.
“We can’t keep taking penalties, because their power play was good for them tonight like it was for us in Game 1,” said captain Ryan Getzlaf. “It was tough being shorthanded.
“But we’ll take a look and shore things up defensively and be ready for the next one.”
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 16
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)