May 3, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Game 2 of the Western Conference quarterfinal between Detroit and Anaheim had it all — tons of scoring, a huge comeback and a dramatic OT winner to end it.
And Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau hated it.
Well, hated the role his team played in the excitement, anyway.
“It was awful,” Boudreau told the LA Times. “I have no answer for you at this point. Four goals in the first four shifts of the game is pretty amazing, and three of them were on the power play.”
Boudreau is referring to his team’s inability to stop Detroit from 1) scoring in the opening minutes of periods, and 2) scoring with the man advantage.
Justin Abdelkader potted the game’s first goal just 48 seconds into the first period. Then Johan Frazen scored 1:04 into the second period.
Franzen did it again to start the third — just 20 seconds in — and Gustav Nyquist scored 1:21 into overtime to win it.
What’s more, three of these goals came with the man advantage, including Nyquist’s game-winner. Detroit went 3-for-6 on the power play all told, this after going 1-for-4 in the series opener.
While the Ducks had to be happy with their resilience — they scored three goals in a 10-minute span in the third to erase a 4-1 deficit — they weren’t happy with much else.
Especially the penalty kill.
“We can’t keep taking penalties, because their power play was good for them tonight like it was for us in Game 1,” said captain Ryan Getzlaf. “It was tough being shorthanded.
“But we’ll take a look and shore things up defensively and be ready for the next one.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)