May 3, 2013, 1:32 AM EDT
If you tuned into the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings game early in the third period, your first impression may have been that it was already over and remaining minutes were just a formality.
The Red Wings jumped to a 4-1 lead early in the third period, but the Ducks roared back with three goals in just under 10 minutes to send the game to overtime. The comeback fell short, however, as Gustav Nyquist scored on the power play to give the Red Wings a 5-4 overtime win, sending the series back to Detroit tied 1-1.
Some talking points.
- Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen scored twice and temporarily left the game in the second period after taking a shot to the part of the body no man ever wants to get with a puck. He did return in the third period. A tough productive night.
- Not sure what Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray was thinking when he took a healthy whack at Wings’ forward Justin Abdelkader with 38 seconds remaining in the third period of a tied hockey game. Souray was penalized and the Wings took advantage in overtime.
- Good night for the power plays. The Wings finished the night three-for-six on the man advantage. The Ducks went one-for-five.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)