May 3, 2013, 1:32 AM EDT
If you tuned into the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings game early in the third period, your first impression may have been that it was already over and remaining minutes were just a formality.
The Red Wings jumped to a 4-1 lead early in the third period, but the Ducks roared back with three goals in just under 10 minutes to send the game to overtime. The comeback fell short, however, as Gustav Nyquist scored on the power play to give the Red Wings a 5-4 overtime win, sending the series back to Detroit tied 1-1.
Some talking points.
- Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen scored twice and temporarily left the game in the second period after taking a shot to the part of the body no man ever wants to get with a puck. He did return in the third period. A tough productive night.
- Not sure what Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray was thinking when he took a healthy whack at Wings’ forward Justin Abdelkader with 38 seconds remaining in the third period of a tied hockey game. Souray was penalized and the Wings took advantage in overtime.
- Good night for the power plays. The Wings finished the night three-for-six on the man advantage. The Ducks went one-for-five.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)