May 3, 2013, 1:32 AM EST
If you tuned into the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings game early in the third period, your first impression may have been that it was already over and remaining minutes were just a formality.
The Red Wings jumped to a 4-1 lead early in the third period, but the Ducks roared back with three goals in just under 10 minutes to send the game to overtime. The comeback fell short, however, as Gustav Nyquist scored on the power play to give the Red Wings a 5-4 overtime win, sending the series back to Detroit tied 1-1.
Some talking points.
- Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen scored twice and temporarily left the game in the second period after taking a shot to the part of the body no man ever wants to get with a puck. He did return in the third period. A tough productive night.
- Not sure what Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray was thinking when he took a healthy whack at Wings’ forward Justin Abdelkader with 38 seconds remaining in the third period of a tied hockey game. Souray was penalized and the Wings took advantage in overtime.
- Good night for the power plays. The Wings finished the night three-for-six on the man advantage. The Ducks went one-for-five.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)