May 3, 2013, 1:32 AM EDT
If you tuned into the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings game early in the third period, your first impression may have been that it was already over and remaining minutes were just a formality.
The Red Wings jumped to a 4-1 lead early in the third period, but the Ducks roared back with three goals in just under 10 minutes to send the game to overtime. The comeback fell short, however, as Gustav Nyquist scored on the power play to give the Red Wings a 5-4 overtime win, sending the series back to Detroit tied 1-1.
Some talking points.
- Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen scored twice and temporarily left the game in the second period after taking a shot to the part of the body no man ever wants to get with a puck. He did return in the third period. A tough productive night.
- Not sure what Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray was thinking when he took a healthy whack at Wings’ forward Justin Abdelkader with 38 seconds remaining in the third period of a tied hockey game. Souray was penalized and the Wings took advantage in overtime.
- Good night for the power plays. The Wings finished the night three-for-six on the man advantage. The Ducks went one-for-five.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)