May 3, 2013, 1:32 AM EDT
If you tuned into the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings game early in the third period, your first impression may have been that it was already over and remaining minutes were just a formality.
The Red Wings jumped to a 4-1 lead early in the third period, but the Ducks roared back with three goals in just under 10 minutes to send the game to overtime. The comeback fell short, however, as Gustav Nyquist scored on the power play to give the Red Wings a 5-4 overtime win, sending the series back to Detroit tied 1-1.
Some talking points.
- Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen scored twice and temporarily left the game in the second period after taking a shot to the part of the body no man ever wants to get with a puck. He did return in the third period. A tough productive night.
- Not sure what Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray was thinking when he took a healthy whack at Wings’ forward Justin Abdelkader with 38 seconds remaining in the third period of a tied hockey game. Souray was penalized and the Wings took advantage in overtime.
- Good night for the power plays. The Wings finished the night three-for-six on the man advantage. The Ducks went one-for-five.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)