Discuss: Blues score late to defeat Kings, take Game 2

May 3, 2013, 12:47 AM EST

kINGS-Blues Getty Images

The St. Louis Blues are two wins away from advancing to the second round of the playoffs and knocking off the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Blues defenseman Barret Jackman scored the winning goal with just 51 seconds remaining in the third period, as St. Louis beat the L.A. Kings by a final score of 2-1 to take Game 2 of their Western Conference quarter-final.

The Blues now lead the best-of-seven series 2-0.

Here are some talking points:

• Jackman broke into the NHL during the 2001-2002 season. He scored his first career playoff on Thursday night. About time, right? Not known as a goal scorer, but perfect timing on this one.
  • Jonathan Quick was once again spectacular for the L.A. Kings. Made 23 saves, a good number of them of the difficult or spectacular variety. But couldn’t make the save on the Jackman wrist shot that won the game.
  • Dustin Brown was an imposing figure. The Kings’ captain scored his first goal of these playoffs on a deflection in the first period. He also caught Blues’ forward Jaden Schwartz with an open-ice knee-on-knee collision late in the first period. Looked bad, but could’ve been worse had he fully connected.
  1. JoeAvg - May 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Redemption for Jackman. His “trip” (I’d of called it unsportsmanlike since the play was dead) on Doughty was a stupid thing to do already being shorthanded. Nice shot and a great goal.

• soro17 - May 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Doughty’s dive was embarassing. Hopefully the refs will review that and never give him the benefit of the doubt again. Although based on his history of embellishment, I am surprised he has any credibility with the officials anyway.

2. hockeyes - May 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I love this match-up

3. cardsandbluesforever - May 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

man what a roller coaster ride! first period and a half the the game was looking like last years playoffs. kings scored a flukey goal and the blues went on their heels for half the game. came out in the 3rd and we looked like we did in game 1. managed to tie it up and score the game winner, sweet end to the game and feels good to have a 2-0 series lead going back to LA. hell they even tried to blatantly run Elliott near the end of the period and they STILL couldnt win.
    Quick is slowly turning into a headcase. he was banging his head on the ice in frustration after game 1 and you can see his reaction was almost the same tonight. i see the floodgates getting opened up in game 3 against the kings.

right now blomfried is sitting in his tv room, pounding down warm Zima and seething…

• valoisvipers - May 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

There is no need to worry about Comrade Blomfeld, as he is well in knowing that the Kings could have won either of these games. He is also secure with the knowledge of how great the defending Stanley Cup champions, led by Captain Brown, home record is. So friend don’t fret for Blomfeld he will be enjoying a couple extra games in this series watching his favorite take down the Blues again this year.

• phillyphanatic77 - May 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

So you’re blomfeld? The Kings only seem to win at home, but they don’t have home ice advantage in the series. So they better figure out how to put it together on the road. And by the way, the Blues home record (15-8-1) is almost identical to their away record (14-9-1) so they’re not inept on the road like LA seems to be.

• blomfeld - May 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Valoisvipers = Human Quality !

• blomfeld - May 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Beat it you flotsam !

• nykingsfan1963 - May 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

enjoy it while it lasts….it takes 4 and last I looked, you’re not there.
      You’re also dillusional if you think only the Kings are running goaltenders…the Blues have been running Quick as well.
      Quick’s a headcase? The guy has been standing on his head if that’ what you mean.

• blomfeld - May 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

go find some cheese you vermin !

4. josephdj9 - May 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM

up 2 games to nil is big; Kings used all of their luck last year. Still, pay off for them in the end. I saw this going 4-2 Blues; now I see it 4-1 Blues. Kings win game four in LA (last home game) then lose series in St. Louis. Good exciting games so far!

5. aldog83 - May 3, 2013 at 3:50 AM

If the KINGS do not win both in LA….

Blues ahould take the series.

But the Blues have lost 4 in a row to the KINGS in the playoffs…Last year I think…

And all the games in the regular season? Right….

KINGS Have a long way to got, But I would hardly say the BLUES are dominating.

Hope you guys keep raving about HOW the Blues have this in the BAG!!!!

And let’s see what happens in the next week.

OUT!

6. charleslouis99 - May 3, 2013 at 8:21 AM

^typical bandwagon kings fan.

• aldog83 - May 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I just think a couple 2-1 games does not end a series.

Everyone keeps talking like the series is over.

Its often said that a series is not a “series” or “over” till a team loses at home.

Blues are out working the KINGS. So they deserve to be up 2-0. “Scoreboard” right?

Kudos to Blues.

Yes I am a KIngs fan. but not a bandwagon fan. I been following for 25 yrs.

And hoping they can go 2-2 back to St Louis. If not……Kings should be done.

I don’t think that is an unrealistic analysis.

• tridecagon - May 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Speaking as a lifelong Blues fan, I think you’re right on the money. If the Kings take this one back to LA and win both, then the Blues still have home ice, but the Kings have the momentum and it’s anybody’s series.

If the Blues can get 1 of 2 in LA, then it’s more or less wrapped up, as the Kings would have to win all of the last 3 with 2 of them in StL. Of course, I’d rather see the Blues close it out early and avoid the wear and tear of a long series against a big, bruising Kings team. I thought from the beginning of the playoffs that whoever makes it out of this series has the kind of team that can go all the way to the Finals… if they can get out of this healthy.

Normally I wouldn’t even dream of the Blues going and winning 2 in LA, but I think Quick’s aura of invincibility has been punctured – he’s been mostly spectacular, but he’s given up 2 pretty soft game-winners in 2 games, and speaking as a goalie, that can definitely get in your head.

• cardsandbluesforever - May 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

holy crap! a sane rational Kings fan?? i didnt think any of you existed…
        thank you for showing me that there are still normal people in the LA area.

7. lbeezyse - May 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

As a Wild fan, I am pulling for the Blues in this series for multiple reasons. 1. I dislike D. Brown for knocking Pomenville out with his exploding elbow to the jaw. 2. I want to see the new “central” division teams win their series, except for the Hawks. 3. There are a few MN boys on the team. Leo, Backes, Langer, & Oshie. 4. They were my preseason pick to come out of the west as well as the Caps out of the east.

8. drez146 - May 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I haven’t seen Elliot straight up tackle someone like Quick tackled Perron on the side of his net. Unbelievable non call. So until I see another goalie blatantly wrap up a player football style ill say Quick has the award for head case.

• nykingsfan1963 - May 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Then don’t go in the crease. He’s been run over numerous times by Blues players.
      Hey more power to them if it’s not going to be called. At some point the Kings will wake up and make someone pay for hitting Quick.
      Amazing how winning 2 games makes Blues fans gloat like they’ve actually accomlished something.
      Last I looked they did what they’re supposed to do..win their home games. Now it’s the Kings turn to play at home.
      If this gets to a game 7, I have no doubt the Kings will win. Can’t wait to hear whining then.

9. drez146 - May 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Perron was 5 feet outside of the crease look at the reply bub

10. blomfeld - May 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM

RIGHT WHERE WE WANT ‘EM !

Absolutely no problem, as it’s now back home to LA and time for the real ‘live’ fire to start. I say ‘so what’ if we spotted these clowns a couple? I mean seriously, let these primates from Saint Louis regale in their two ‘hollow and meaningless’ victories, which by the way, were essentially handed to them on a silver platter! Nonetheless, in the end this does nothing but make our ultimate victory even more satisfying and funnier. So to your posts friends and be ready, as the ‘real’ action starts now !

GO KINGS GO !!!! TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

11. jimeejohnson - May 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

RIGHT WHERE WE WANT ‘EM !”

I think you’re lying.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches