May 3, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
If some players are resistant to the idea of wearing a visor because they seemingly obstruct their view, then Sidney Crosby‘s Game 2 helmet is essentially their worst nightmare.
Pittsburgh Penguins head trainer Dana Heinze shared the design Crosby will wear against the New York Islanders on Friday:
Even with all of that protection, there’s always the concern that Crosby’s opponents will target him and his jaw. After all, the 25-year-old is basically wearing a huge plastic bulls-eye on his head.
The Penguins captain acknowledged the risks that come with the situation – and any situation, really – with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
“What can I do? Obviously, I’m not going out there looking to get hit,” Crosby said. “If that’s the case, there’s only so much you can control out there. If they really want to, it will be up to them more than me.”
It almost seems like Crosby’s dabbled in existentialism during his time off.
The Isles are likely to be a surly bunch after a lopsided 5-0 loss in Game 1 on Wednesday, so Crosby enters quite the interesting scenario. You can watch the game on NBC Sports Network starting at 7 p.m. ET.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 0
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 8
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)