May 3, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
If some players are resistant to the idea of wearing a visor because they seemingly obstruct their view, then Sidney Crosby‘s Game 2 helmet is essentially their worst nightmare.
Pittsburgh Penguins head trainer Dana Heinze shared the design Crosby will wear against the New York Islanders on Friday:
Even with all of that protection, there’s always the concern that Crosby’s opponents will target him and his jaw. After all, the 25-year-old is basically wearing a huge plastic bulls-eye on his head.
The Penguins captain acknowledged the risks that come with the situation – and any situation, really – with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
“What can I do? Obviously, I’m not going out there looking to get hit,” Crosby said. “If that’s the case, there’s only so much you can control out there. If they really want to, it will be up to them more than me.”
It almost seems like Crosby’s dabbled in existentialism during his time off.
The Isles are likely to be a surly bunch after a lopsided 5-0 loss in Game 1 on Wednesday, so Crosby enters quite the interesting scenario. You can watch the game on NBC Sports Network starting at 7 p.m. ET.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 34
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)