May 3, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
If some players are resistant to the idea of wearing a visor because they seemingly obstruct their view, then Sidney Crosby‘s Game 2 helmet is essentially their worst nightmare.
Pittsburgh Penguins head trainer Dana Heinze shared the design Crosby will wear against the New York Islanders on Friday:
Even with all of that protection, there’s always the concern that Crosby’s opponents will target him and his jaw. After all, the 25-year-old is basically wearing a huge plastic bulls-eye on his head.
The Penguins captain acknowledged the risks that come with the situation – and any situation, really – with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
“What can I do? Obviously, I’m not going out there looking to get hit,” Crosby said. “If that’s the case, there’s only so much you can control out there. If they really want to, it will be up to them more than me.”
It almost seems like Crosby’s dabbled in existentialism during his time off.
The Isles are likely to be a surly bunch after a lopsided 5-0 loss in Game 1 on Wednesday, so Crosby enters quite the interesting scenario. You can watch the game on NBC Sports Network starting at 7 p.m. ET.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)