May 3, 2013, 9:26 AM EST
It’s no secret the Carolina Hurricanes struggled on defense this past season. Going without goalie Cam Ward didn’t help matters much, but even with him in there they had problems keeping other teams from generating offense.
Raleigh News & Observer columnist Luke DeCock has a solution for that problem and some ‘Canes fans may not dig it.
If the opportunity arises to add an elite defenseman, it may require parting with part of that core group. It would have been unthinkable a year ago, but it is worth some serious thought about what trading Skinner might bring in return.
Now that’s a bold idea.
DeCock says Carolina should be looking to pick off players from teams needing to get under next year’s salary cap. According to CapGeek, Carolina is at $56.6 million for next year with 17 players signed. That’s a good spot to be in with a handful of expiring deals.
Dealing Skinner and his $5.725 million cap hit through 2019, an extension that kicks in next season, would be rather disingenuous but that line’s already been crossed when Philly dealt Jeff Carter to Columbus two summers ago. Add in that Skinner’s numbers have dropped each season and you’ve got yourself a hot debate.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)