May 3, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
It’s no secret the Carolina Hurricanes struggled on defense this past season. Going without goalie Cam Ward didn’t help matters much, but even with him in there they had problems keeping other teams from generating offense.
Raleigh News & Observer columnist Luke DeCock has a solution for that problem and some ‘Canes fans may not dig it.
If the opportunity arises to add an elite defenseman, it may require parting with part of that core group. It would have been unthinkable a year ago, but it is worth some serious thought about what trading Skinner might bring in return.
Now that’s a bold idea.
DeCock says Carolina should be looking to pick off players from teams needing to get under next year’s salary cap. According to CapGeek, Carolina is at $56.6 million for next year with 17 players signed. That’s a good spot to be in with a handful of expiring deals.
Dealing Skinner and his $5.725 million cap hit through 2019, an extension that kicks in next season, would be rather disingenuous but that line’s already been crossed when Philly dealt Jeff Carter to Columbus two summers ago. Add in that Skinner’s numbers have dropped each season and you’ve got yourself a hot debate.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)