May 3, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
It’s no secret the Carolina Hurricanes struggled on defense this past season. Going without goalie Cam Ward didn’t help matters much, but even with him in there they had problems keeping other teams from generating offense.
Raleigh News & Observer columnist Luke DeCock has a solution for that problem and some ‘Canes fans may not dig it.
If the opportunity arises to add an elite defenseman, it may require parting with part of that core group. It would have been unthinkable a year ago, but it is worth some serious thought about what trading Skinner might bring in return.
Now that’s a bold idea.
DeCock says Carolina should be looking to pick off players from teams needing to get under next year’s salary cap. According to CapGeek, Carolina is at $56.6 million for next year with 17 players signed. That’s a good spot to be in with a handful of expiring deals.
Dealing Skinner and his $5.725 million cap hit through 2019, an extension that kicks in next season, would be rather disingenuous but that line’s already been crossed when Philly dealt Jeff Carter to Columbus two summers ago. Add in that Skinner’s numbers have dropped each season and you’ve got yourself a hot debate.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)