May 3, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
Plenty of things went wrong for the Isles in their 5-0 series-opening loss to Pittsburgh on Tuesday, but none stood out more than the silencing of John Tavares.
New York’s leading scorer went pointless on the night and was held without a shot on goal — that said, head coach Jack Capuano wasn’t about to place that lack of productivity solely on Tavares.
“I don’t think it’s a surprise to John that they were hard on the puck and he didn’t get many chances,” Capuano told Newsday. “We always talk about playing as a unit of five.
“You can talk about John and how they played him, but the surrounding support from our club needs to be better for John to be better.”
The Penguins made a concerted effort to stay on Tavares throughout Game 1, and try to punish him physically.
At no time was this more evident than at the 9:26 mark of the second period, when Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang went out of his way to pop Tavares during a puck retrieval:
Pens winger Jussi Jokinen said Tavares can expect much of the same tonight.
“We need to do that same job all over (Friday),” he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Not give him any time, take all the space out of him and try not to let him play with the puck too much.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)