May 3, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks agitator Adam Burish is willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.
The way he expresses that sentiment, though, might need some work.
“I’d take a one-game suspension for that hit,” Burish told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
(Note: Gryba was suspended two games for the hit. You could say that changes Burish’s take, but then you’re just arguing semantics, really.)
Burish didn’t finish there.
“It was a game changer,” he continued. “One game? It was worth it.”
Maybe it will end up a good tradeoff for the Senators, but the result of the Gryba hit — Eller laying prone in a pool of his own blood, an overnight stay at hospital, concussion and multiple facial fractures — makes Burish’s “it was worth it” remark seem a bit insensitive.
In case you’re curious, Burish has never been suspended or fined by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)