May 3, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
San Jose Sharks agitator Adam Burish is willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.
The way he expresses that sentiment, though, might need some work.
“I’d take a one-game suspension for that hit,” Burish told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
(Note: Gryba was suspended two games for the hit. You could say that changes Burish’s take, but then you’re just arguing semantics, really.)
Burish didn’t finish there.
“It was a game changer,” he continued. “One game? It was worth it.”
Maybe it will end up a good tradeoff for the Senators, but the result of the Gryba hit — Eller laying prone in a pool of his own blood, an overnight stay at hospital, concussion and multiple facial fractures — makes Burish’s “it was worth it” remark seem a bit insensitive.
In case you’re curious, Burish has never been suspended or fined by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 5
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 6
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 16
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 29
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 39
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)