May 2, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The 2013 playoffs already featured one hit that drew a suspension, but the scariest moment of the young postseason came on Thursday when Montreal Canadiens forward Lars Eller was taken off the ice on a stretcher after this hit by Ottawa Senators defenseman Eric Gryba:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s very early, but the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs feels that there’s a strong chance that Eller, 23, suffered a concussion from the hit.
Gryba, 25, received a major penalty for interference and was also handed a game misconduct. The rookie played in 33 games this season, drawing 26 penalty minutes.
Some might see similarities between this moment and the grisly scene in which Rich Pilon left Kevin Stevens bloodied in the 1993 playoffs.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21