May 2, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The 2013 playoffs already featured one hit that drew a suspension, but the scariest moment of the young postseason came on Thursday when Montreal Canadiens forward Lars Eller was taken off the ice on a stretcher after this hit by Ottawa Senators defenseman Eric Gryba:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s very early, but the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs feels that there’s a strong chance that Eller, 23, suffered a concussion from the hit.
Gryba, 25, received a major penalty for interference and was also handed a game misconduct. The rookie played in 33 games this season, drawing 26 penalty minutes.
Some might see similarities between this moment and the grisly scene in which Rich Pilon left Kevin Stevens bloodied in the 1993 playoffs.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)