May 2, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The 2013 playoffs already featured one hit that drew a suspension, but the scariest moment of the young postseason came on Thursday when Montreal Canadiens forward Lars Eller was taken off the ice on a stretcher after this hit by Ottawa Senators defenseman Eric Gryba:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s very early, but the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs feels that there’s a strong chance that Eller, 23, suffered a concussion from the hit.
Gryba, 25, received a major penalty for interference and was also handed a game misconduct. The rookie played in 33 games this season, drawing 26 penalty minutes.
Some might see similarities between this moment and the grisly scene in which Rich Pilon left Kevin Stevens bloodied in the 1993 playoffs.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5