May 2, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The 2013 playoffs already featured one hit that drew a suspension, but the scariest moment of the young postseason came on Thursday when Montreal Canadiens forward Lars Eller was taken off the ice on a stretcher after this hit by Ottawa Senators defenseman Eric Gryba:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s very early, but the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs feels that there’s a strong chance that Eller, 23, suffered a concussion from the hit.
Gryba, 25, received a major penalty for interference and was also handed a game misconduct. The rookie played in 33 games this season, drawing 26 penalty minutes.
Some might see similarities between this moment and the grisly scene in which Rich Pilon left Kevin Stevens bloodied in the 1993 playoffs.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 17
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 14
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)