May 2, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The 2013 playoffs already featured one hit that drew a suspension, but the scariest moment of the young postseason came on Thursday when Montreal Canadiens forward Lars Eller was taken off the ice on a stretcher after this hit by Ottawa Senators defenseman Eric Gryba:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It’s very early, but the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs feels that there’s a strong chance that Eller, 23, suffered a concussion from the hit.
Gryba, 25, received a major penalty for interference and was also handed a game misconduct. The rookie played in 33 games this season, drawing 26 penalty minutes.
Some might see similarities between this moment and the grisly scene in which Rich Pilon left Kevin Stevens bloodied in the 1993 playoffs.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 8
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 84
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 75
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 66
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (84)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)