May 2, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
After an opening game loss in which they were out-shot 42-29, the Kings appear to be shaking things up at forward.
Anze Kopitar was reunited with usual linemates Dustin Brown and Justin Williams during Thursday’s morning skate — Kopitar spent last game with Jeff Carter and Kyle Clifford (and, eventually, Dustin Penner) — and head coach Darryl Sutter continued to tinker with his left wing alignment.
Sutter explained why after the skate.
“I didn’t like the way, quite honestly, our left wings matched up the other night,” he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’ve coached against Ken [Hitchcock] a lot and we know how he likes to use his matchups.”
“Some of the boys that play on our fourth line have to play like big boys,” he told Helene Elliott of the LA Times.
This was likely in response to his unit being largely outplayed by St. Louis’ CPR line — Adam Cracknell, Chris Porter and Ryan Reaves — who combined for 18 hits and set a physical tone LA’s fourth line failed to match.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 59
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (61)