May 2, 2013, 7:19 PM EST
NHL teams aren’t particularly forthcoming with injury updates during the season,* so it probably shouldn’t be shocking that coaches are really clamming up for the postseason.
When asked about injured San Jose Sharks forward Martin Havlat and his (also banged-up) potential replacement Scott Gomez, head coach Todd McLellan was at least upfront to David Pollak of the Mercury News regarding the lack of information he’s willing to provide.
“It’s playoffs, guys. You know we’re not going to give you anything,” McLellan said. “I’ll save you the headache of asking.”
Havlat, 32, suffered an undisclosed ailment on Wednesday, forcing him to leave Game 1 against the Vancouver Canucks. Meanwhile, Gomez went down with a mystery issue of his own on April 23.
So, with all of that, McLellan would only say that he’ll know more on Friday.
Pollak thinks Gomez is first in line to replace Havlat. If the 33-year-old cannot go either, then Pollak guesses young forward Tim Kennedy will play instead.
Just don’t expect much of a straight answer from the Sharks.
* – It’s not like they save upper-body and lower-body descriptions for the playoffs any longer.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 30
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 80
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)