May 2, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
NHL teams aren’t particularly forthcoming with injury updates during the season,* so it probably shouldn’t be shocking that coaches are really clamming up for the postseason.
When asked about injured San Jose Sharks forward Martin Havlat and his (also banged-up) potential replacement Scott Gomez, head coach Todd McLellan was at least upfront to David Pollak of the Mercury News regarding the lack of information he’s willing to provide.
“It’s playoffs, guys. You know we’re not going to give you anything,” McLellan said. “I’ll save you the headache of asking.”
Havlat, 32, suffered an undisclosed ailment on Wednesday, forcing him to leave Game 1 against the Vancouver Canucks. Meanwhile, Gomez went down with a mystery issue of his own on April 23.
So, with all of that, McLellan would only say that he’ll know more on Friday.
Pollak thinks Gomez is first in line to replace Havlat. If the 33-year-old cannot go either, then Pollak guesses young forward Tim Kennedy will play instead.
Just don’t expect much of a straight answer from the Sharks.
* – It’s not like they save upper-body and lower-body descriptions for the playoffs any longer.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)