May 2, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
NHL teams aren’t particularly forthcoming with injury updates during the season,* so it probably shouldn’t be shocking that coaches are really clamming up for the postseason.
When asked about injured San Jose Sharks forward Martin Havlat and his (also banged-up) potential replacement Scott Gomez, head coach Todd McLellan was at least upfront to David Pollak of the Mercury News regarding the lack of information he’s willing to provide.
“It’s playoffs, guys. You know we’re not going to give you anything,” McLellan said. “I’ll save you the headache of asking.”
Havlat, 32, suffered an undisclosed ailment on Wednesday, forcing him to leave Game 1 against the Vancouver Canucks. Meanwhile, Gomez went down with a mystery issue of his own on April 23.
So, with all of that, McLellan would only say that he’ll know more on Friday.
Pollak thinks Gomez is first in line to replace Havlat. If the 33-year-old cannot go either, then Pollak guesses young forward Tim Kennedy will play instead.
Just don’t expect much of a straight answer from the Sharks.
* – It’s not like they save upper-body and lower-body descriptions for the playoffs any longer.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)