May 2, 2013, 7:19 PM EST
NHL teams aren’t particularly forthcoming with injury updates during the season,* so it probably shouldn’t be shocking that coaches are really clamming up for the postseason.
When asked about injured San Jose Sharks forward Martin Havlat and his (also banged-up) potential replacement Scott Gomez, head coach Todd McLellan was at least upfront to David Pollak of the Mercury News regarding the lack of information he’s willing to provide.
“It’s playoffs, guys. You know we’re not going to give you anything,” McLellan said. “I’ll save you the headache of asking.”
Havlat, 32, suffered an undisclosed ailment on Wednesday, forcing him to leave Game 1 against the Vancouver Canucks. Meanwhile, Gomez went down with a mystery issue of his own on April 23.
So, with all of that, McLellan would only say that he’ll know more on Friday.
Pollak thinks Gomez is first in line to replace Havlat. If the 33-year-old cannot go either, then Pollak guesses young forward Tim Kennedy will play instead.
Just don’t expect much of a straight answer from the Sharks.
* – It’s not like they save upper-body and lower-body descriptions for the playoffs any longer.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)