Sens coach on Eller hit: ‘A hockey play that went bad’

May 2, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

From the Ottawa Senators’ perspective, defenseman Eric Gryba‘s hit on Montreal Canadiens forward Lars Eller was an unfortunate circumstance instead of a suspension-worthy blow.

Head coach Paul MacLean chalked it up to bad luck to the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.

“[It was] a hockey play that went bad for Eller,” MacLean said.

Gryba, 25, provided a similar message to Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes.

“My elbow was down and there was no intent to hurt him whatsoever,” Gryba said. “I hope he’s okay … It’s never good seeing that.”

No word on whether or not Senators owner Eugene Melnyk will get his forensics team on the case, though. (Apologies, that joke was required.)

As you can see from this video, Jeremy Roenick and Keith Jones likely agree with Gryba and MacLean:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. rsl22 - May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I’m sure Sens fans disagree, but that didn’t quite seem to be Cooke on Savard.

2. JoeAvg - May 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Liked the angle here much more than the HNIC broadcast. Much easier to see the head was not the point of contact. Just a bad break for Eller & the Habs.

And no apologies necessary James, it’s still funny but I don’t think we’ve heard the last of it. I could be off base here but I think if the Sens and Pens meet in round two they’re going to try use this “forensic investigation” as a distraction. Anything for an edge I guess.

3. dutchman1350 - May 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

JR was right about teammate making a bad pass, and leading him into the hit. Not dirty, and no suspension warranted.

4. chanceoffleury1 - May 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I wonder if the Habs will get a CSI team on top of this hit. Or maybe Ottawa will just realize that sometimes hockey is a really fast paced game and bad things can happen. Sometimes you end up on the receiving end and sometimes you’re the one giving it.

5. dt58 - May 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Good. clean, hard hit with unfortunate results. Hope he is ok. On a lighter note, by the look of the picture of MacLean, looks like he just saw me walk out of the shower…

• JoeAvg - May 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

lol

6. har21441 - May 3, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Recent history suggests that his views on hockey plays gone bad are a tad warped and illogical.

7. pafinest87 - May 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM

What a joke Ottawa is. So when it’s your guy hitting someone it’s a hockey play but when it your player (karlsson vs Cooke) it’s the dirtiest play ever. I personally don’t think it was an intentional hit but funny how ur coach acts when it’s his player hurting the other player.

8. pastabelly - May 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Montreal police will prosecute this.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches