Sedin: ‘Everything has to be five times better’ after Canucks lose home ice

May 2, 2013, 1:45 AM EST

henrik2

After relinquishing home ice advantage for the second consecutive postseason, the Vancouver Canucks know improvement is necessary.

And captain Henrik Sedin knows exactly how much.

“We weren’t that far off,” Sedin said following a 3-1 loss to San Jose in Game 1 of the Western Conference quarterfinals. “But everything has to be five times better.”

Vancouver came into Wednesday night’s action as the West’s No. 3 seed after capturing the Northwest Division title.

That gave them home ice over the sixth-seeded Sharks…who proceeded to erase said advantage in 60 minutes.

Sound familiar? It should.

Last postseason, the Canucks did the exact same thing, dropping a 4-2 decision in Game 1 at home to Los Angeles.

Things didn’t get any better for Vancouver in Game 2 — the Kings took that one by the same 4-2 scoreline — and it wasn’t long before Vancouver was bounced from the playoffs entirely.

As such, the Canucks know how vital it is to improve for Friday’s rematch at Rogers Arena.

They simply can’t afford to head to San Jose down 0-2 in the series — the Sharks were 17-2-5 at HP Pavilion this season, the third-best home record in the NHL.

San Jose also showed a strong level of confidence on Wednesday, rallying from a one-goal deficit to win in Vancouver for the second time this season.

Ryan Kesler was dejected with the way things transpired, especially after Kevin Bieksa gave Vancouver a 1-0 lead with under eight minutes to go in the second period.

“It’s disappointing going into the third period in your own building being tied and losing the game like that,” he said.

1. canucks30 - May 2, 2013 at 3:23 AM

CANUCKS CAN’T SCORE

8 goals in 7 Games vs Boston in 2011

6 goals in 5 Games vs Los Angeles in 2012

1 own goal vs San Jose in 2013

That’s 15 goals in the Canucks last 13 playoff games! (Including own goals and empty-netters)

Vancouver has also lost 5 consecutive home playoff games and has fared worse at home than on the road in the post-season since GM Place/Rogers Arena opened in 1995.

The current Canucks seem to have lost their will to win and have grown stale.

Unless they turn it around, major changes are needed this off-season. Unfortunately, seemingly everyone on the roster of any significant is signed long term, with many having exorbitant cap hits.

Not a good situation.

2. ethanmacleod1685 - May 2, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Go sharks

3. tommytd - May 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM

The Vancouver Canuckleheads. Bounce ‘em out…GO BLACKHAWKS!

4. jpat2424 - May 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Love it

5. gret9 - May 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM

The sooner the Sedin sisters (we can cheap shot you all day long Duncan Keith but don’t dare respond in kind or we will cry like the little b*tches we are), Alex ‘I’ll either bite you or pull your hair’ Burrows and the rest of the dirtiest team in the NHL are out of the playoffs the better it is for those of us who enjoy CLEAN hard hitting playoff hockey.

• comeonnowguys - May 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I love me some Canuck losing, but even taking Vancouver’s antics into account, Keith’s hit was dirty. If it were Raffi, you’d be calling for his head.

(Then again, his history may have made that a bad analogy, but the sentiment stands)

6. pepper2011 - May 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Remember when the Canucks were up 3-2 in the SCF and heading home. HA.

• salmon90 - May 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I don’t. They actually went to Boston up 3-2.

• pepper2011 - May 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Ha ha. You are right. Lay out hat on that though, just like a presidents trophy

7. r4n6er - May 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I live in Seattle and normally I watch Canucks games through CBC. Over the years I have become pretty fond of the staff there because “most” of the time they deliver an impartial view of the game. Last night I was forced to endure Bob Costas and NCBSN attempt at hockey coverage. Although I am a Canucks fan and I should have enjoyed the battle until the third I almost turned off the game during the second because of how bad the coverage was. They called D.Wiese Sedin repeatedly mistaking the Canucks star player with a fourth line grinder, every time a Shark got bumped they complained that the Canucks should have been penalized (yes the Canucks got away with some, but so did the sharks), during each intermission all they showed was highlights from East coast games that had ended. If I cared about the Boston game I would have watched it (which I did, but not the point). At times the chatter was so intense and unrelated to hockey that I had to mute the TV just so that I could see some momentum build. Unfortunately after a little research I realize that the Canucks will most likely have to advance to the second round before I will get a chance at CBC again.

• imleftcoast - May 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The coverage was terrible for Canucks fans. It was the CSN feed from San Jose. Brodie Brazil is the quintessential California hockey color man. He should have a role in Anchorman 2. The second guessing of the officiating and lack of understanding of the rules was worse than a midget game. I love NBC for putting a live feed on, but I’ll be at the bar Friday with my beer league team. I can’t listen to that play-by-play for even one more game. In Seattle, the Angry Beaver in Greenwood is the place to watch hockey.

• kitshky - May 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Costas is a pro … but the man should not be doing hockey.

8. adambballn - May 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

As a Blackhawks fan I’m not sure who I hate more in this series. The Canucks because they’re the Canucks or the Sharks because they have Rafi Torres on their team. Anyway they can both lose?

9. sharksman - May 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Raffi Torres has changed his game. I was not really happy when they picked him up at the deadline but since watching him he is playing good hockey. No stupid penalties and no dirty hits. Raffi has been a surprise. I guess some people can change the way the play the game. GO Sharks !

• r4n6er - May 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Everybody loves Raffi on their team until he crosses the line then they trade him. Then the next team loves him until..

• imleftcoast - May 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Give credit where it’s due. He made a difference last night, and played smart hockey. I guess he’s off the juice for now.

• r4n6er - May 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Don’t get me wrong I am a huge Raffi fan!

• comeonnowguys - May 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

We heard the same song and dance after each of his previous hits. You can see how well each “new leaf” has withered.

10. sunderlanding - May 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I’m no mathematician, but if my numbers are correct they only need to be three times better. That gives them three goals and San Jose only one.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches