May 2, 2013, 1:45 AM EDT
After relinquishing home ice advantage for the second consecutive postseason, the Vancouver Canucks know improvement is necessary.
And captain Henrik Sedin knows exactly how much.
“We weren’t that far off,” Sedin said following a 3-1 loss to San Jose in Game 1 of the Western Conference quarterfinals. “But everything has to be five times better.”
Vancouver came into Wednesday night’s action as the West’s No. 3 seed after capturing the Northwest Division title.
That gave them home ice over the sixth-seeded Sharks…who proceeded to erase said advantage in 60 minutes.
Sound familiar? It should.
Last postseason, the Canucks did the exact same thing, dropping a 4-2 decision in Game 1 at home to Los Angeles.
Things didn’t get any better for Vancouver in Game 2 — the Kings took that one by the same 4-2 scoreline — and it wasn’t long before Vancouver was bounced from the playoffs entirely.
As such, the Canucks know how vital it is to improve for Friday’s rematch at Rogers Arena.
They simply can’t afford to head to San Jose down 0-2 in the series — the Sharks were 17-2-5 at HP Pavilion this season, the third-best home record in the NHL.
San Jose also showed a strong level of confidence on Wednesday, rallying from a one-goal deficit to win in Vancouver for the second time this season.
“It’s disappointing going into the third period in your own building being tied and losing the game like that,” he said.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)