May 2, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Ryan Suter set a Minnesota Wild franchise record in Game one of the Western Conference quarterfinal against Chicago, logging 41:08 of ice time — smashing the club’s old mark by nearly five minutes.
It was a performance that drew admiration from his teammate, Zach Parise.
“It’s unreal,” Parise told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “He comes off the ice after what seems like a two-minute shift, and he’s not even breathing heavy.
“I don’t get it. I wish I was the same way.”
Suter played 41 shifts on Tuesday and logged at least 9:50 in each period played, including 10:10 of an overtime period that only lasted 16:35.
Not that shouldering heavy minutes is anything new.
Suter was an absolute workhorse down the stretch for Minnesota, playing over 30 minutes in three of the last four games of the year.
That stretch culminated with a season-high 32:54 in a 3-1 win over Colorado in the season finale, a game the Wild won 3-1 to book their spot in the playoffs.
The 28-year-old said he felt gopd on Wednesday back home in Minnesota, less than 24 hours after his epic performance.
“Body feels fine, just getting ready for the next one,” Suter told NHL.com. “It feels good to come in, hang out and just go over a few things.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)