May 2, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Ryan Suter set a Minnesota Wild franchise record in Game one of the Western Conference quarterfinal against Chicago, logging 41:08 of ice time — smashing the club’s old mark by nearly five minutes.
It was a performance that drew admiration from his teammate, Zach Parise.
“It’s unreal,” Parise told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “He comes off the ice after what seems like a two-minute shift, and he’s not even breathing heavy.
“I don’t get it. I wish I was the same way.”
Suter played 41 shifts on Tuesday and logged at least 9:50 in each period played, including 10:10 of an overtime period that only lasted 16:35.
Not that shouldering heavy minutes is anything new.
Suter was an absolute workhorse down the stretch for Minnesota, playing over 30 minutes in three of the last four games of the year.
That stretch culminated with a season-high 32:54 in a 3-1 win over Colorado in the season finale, a game the Wild won 3-1 to book their spot in the playoffs.
The 28-year-old said he felt gopd on Wednesday back home in Minnesota, less than 24 hours after his epic performance.
“Body feels fine, just getting ready for the next one,” Suter told NHL.com. “It feels good to come in, hang out and just go over a few things.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)