May 2, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Ryan Suter set a Minnesota Wild franchise record in Game one of the Western Conference quarterfinal against Chicago, logging 41:08 of ice time — smashing the club’s old mark by nearly five minutes.
It was a performance that drew admiration from his teammate, Zach Parise.
“It’s unreal,” Parise told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “He comes off the ice after what seems like a two-minute shift, and he’s not even breathing heavy.
“I don’t get it. I wish I was the same way.”
Suter played 41 shifts on Tuesday and logged at least 9:50 in each period played, including 10:10 of an overtime period that only lasted 16:35.
Not that shouldering heavy minutes is anything new.
Suter was an absolute workhorse down the stretch for Minnesota, playing over 30 minutes in three of the last four games of the year.
That stretch culminated with a season-high 32:54 in a 3-1 win over Colorado in the season finale, a game the Wild won 3-1 to book their spot in the playoffs.
The 28-year-old said he felt gopd on Wednesday back home in Minnesota, less than 24 hours after his epic performance.
“Body feels fine, just getting ready for the next one,” Suter told NHL.com. “It feels good to come in, hang out and just go over a few things.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)