May 2, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Boston Bruins dominated the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their first-round series, but they’ll need to win Game 2 without Andrew Ference.
The 34-year-old defenseman received a one-game suspension for elbowing Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski. Watch the video explanation below, which features Brendan Shanahan’s assessment (including “recklessly targeting the head”).
Since the playoffs have begun, Ference won’t lose a game check.
Leafs-Bruins Game 2 takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday. CNBC is carrying the game.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)