May 2, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins dominated the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their first-round series, but they’ll need to win Game 2 without Andrew Ference.
The 34-year-old defenseman received a one-game suspension for elbowing Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski. Watch the video explanation below, which features Brendan Shanahan’s assessment (including “recklessly targeting the head”).
Since the playoffs have begun, Ference won’t lose a game check.
Leafs-Bruins Game 2 takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday. CNBC is carrying the game.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 10
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 35
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)