May 2, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Boston Bruins dominated the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their first-round series, but they’ll need to win Game 2 without Andrew Ference.
The 34-year-old defenseman received a one-game suspension for elbowing Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski. Watch the video explanation below, which features Brendan Shanahan’s assessment (including “recklessly targeting the head”).
Since the playoffs have begun, Ference won’t lose a game check.
Leafs-Bruins Game 2 takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday. CNBC is carrying the game.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 11
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)