May 2, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Boston Bruins dominated the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their first-round series, but they’ll need to win Game 2 without Andrew Ference.
The 34-year-old defenseman received a one-game suspension for elbowing Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski. Watch the video explanation below, which features Brendan Shanahan’s assessment (including “recklessly targeting the head”).
Since the playoffs have begun, Ference won’t lose a game check.
Leafs-Bruins Game 2 takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday. CNBC is carrying the game.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)