May 2, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins dominated the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their first-round series, but they’ll need to win Game 2 without Andrew Ference.
The 34-year-old defenseman received a one-game suspension for elbowing Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski. Watch the video explanation below, which features Brendan Shanahan’s assessment (including “recklessly targeting the head”).
Since the playoffs have begun, Ference won’t lose a game check.
Leafs-Bruins Game 2 takes place at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday. CNBC is carrying the game.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)