NHL: No hearing for Isles’ Reasoner after kneeing Jokinen

May 2, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT

New York Islanders forward Marty Reasoner won’t face any supplemental discipline after kneeing Pittsburgh’s Jussi Jokinen during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, an NHL spokesman confirmed.

Reasoner was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for this hit with 2:10 remaining and the score 5-0 in favor of the Penguins:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Replays suggest this may have been more of a trip than a knee, with Reasoner making the majority of contact with Jokinen’s skate and shin.

Jokinen left the contest and didn’t return, but was back on the ice for Thursday’s practice.

1. jpelle82 - May 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM

i guess jokinen got out of the way just enough, and he isnt hurt so…i’m ok with it. bet capuano sits him for game 2 anyway, he had a terrible game before this happened anyway.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - May 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Just proves how much of a shill mcguire is for the pens listen to him in the video

2. barkar942 - May 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Looked like shinning to me. Since when is that a penalty?

• sabatimus - May 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

You’re probably trolling, but it certainly wasn’t a kneeing. It ought to have been tripping, since there was no knee-on-knee contact at all.

• barkar942 - May 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM

No I am not trolling. I saw the play and the replays during the game. The refs blew the call. Was not a five minute and ejection. It was more of a trip.

• hockeyflow33 - May 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

At that point the game is out of hand and the refs are working on game control. It was a solid officiating job by that crew.

3. nunan - May 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Right call. That stuff happens when a player tries to dodge the hit at the last second. That’s hockey. Zero intent there. Had he actually made knee contact, I’m sure he would have been suspended, even without the intent. It doesn’t help that Jokinen is the type of player to try and milk that call, though.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Why is it every single time there’s a hit that is questionable you blame the guy that is being hit? Seems to be a strong trend with you. No one is under some obligation to remail in the same spot while a guy hits them. A player is NOT allowed to attempt to expand their ‘impact zone’ by extending their knee, leg, elbow, or stick, to maintain contact.

However, I agree it’s the right call. Two minutes would have been enough for me.

• nunan - May 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I really don’t. That’s just what’s happening today. I think way too many people assume all questionable hits are dirty though and deserve league intervention. They never account for the speed of the game or the natural reaction of a player when he’s trying to lay a hit. They just over-simplify it and say he was trying to hurt someone…which honestly is rarely the case. Most players don’t run around trying to concuss another player or break their knee. Most people seem to think that’s the case with every hit though and so they want the league in intervene. I think that’s a dangerous trend because everyone becomes over-sensitive to the physical play, which is so important in hockey. Not to sound arrogant but I think the league feels the same way. They are actually analyzing the entire incident and they usually come to a practical decision, whereas every fan jumps off the deep end and wants that players head on a stick. Most people who post here go over the top.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Ah – actually a lot of that makes sense.

• xavier46 - May 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Nunan – again the issue is blaming the player who got hit and claiming he “milked it.” You even said “they never account for the speed of the game or the natural reaction of a player when he’s trying to lay a hit.”

I would also assume then that there is a natural reaction when a player gets hit, right?

But according to you that player seems to always be milking it and his natural reaction to a bit of pain is his fault.

• xavier46 - May 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Nunan – I do owe an apology for that alcohol induced talk and accusing you of being a Isles fan; my bad – I will not utter such accusations toward you again! :)

• nunan - May 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

No worries.

• sabatimus - May 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Jokinen definitely did look up and assess the situation while down on the ice, to see if milking it would work. That said, it was quite a flagrant trip/kick, but really deserves no suspension.

• nunan - May 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I mean Jokinen is a good player. Nobody is disputing that…he just wanted to make it look worse than it was. pretty common but i think people should know that before assuming he’s really hurt. I bet he plays next game.

4. malkinrulez - May 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I bet if it was Cooke the reaction would have been much different. Isles fans would have been up in arms. Reasoner is a non issue anyway

• orangandblack - May 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Well, look at the history

• pens5829 - May 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

If the name Cooke appeared in the headline there’d be at least 30 more posts from Sens, Bruins, and Flyer trolls begging to get him tossed from the league and Eugene Melnyk would be opening another investigation.

• sabatimus - May 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

How is it trolling if it’s accurate?

• orangandblack - May 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Thank you. It’s not trolling, just making a point that if Reasoner had the history of Matt Cooke (which I know everyone’s gonna say he’s changed his game) the suspension would be a no brainer. I guess if I don’t come on here saying how I want to smell every Pen’s player’s jock, I must be a troll

5. bcisleman - May 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Quite honestly–looking at the hit again–I think Marty was going for a shoulder hit, missed & caught his skate on Jokinen’s. That’s more a reflection on what a poor game Marty had than it is on any intent to injure. Many Isles fans would have been happier if he HAD been suspended because they do not like his play.

6. mclovinhockey - May 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Hard to tell without super slow mo, but looks like he barley moves his leg and kicks the skate or goes shin to shin. I think this is just one of those hockey plays.

7. gettingpwned - May 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM

who the hell woke reasoner up from his eternal rest to let him in the lineup and play anyway? the only time the isles ever beat the pens is when they go with a big lineup and bully them. they needed boulton or carkner last night to set a tone. reasoner… bleh.

8. multiplemiggs - May 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Jokinen left the ice and didnt return … lmao there was 2 mins left!

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches