May 2, 2013, 11:50 PM EST
So, the Maple Leafs’ first playoff game since the spring of 2004 didn’t go like folks in Toronto had hoped.
The Maple Leafs were soundly thumped by a final score of 4-1 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday.
The Leafs, who actually opened the scoring, were outshot 40-20 and couldn’t match the Bruins’ tenacity in all three zones of the rink.
“We were responding too much to what they were doing,” Leafs defenceman Mark Fraser told Sportsnet.ca on Thursday.
“We had a pretty good start but they weathered the storm nicely and then just kind of brought it right back against us. We really need to dictate.
“They had a great forecheck (Wednesday) night and just kind of kept us in our zone.”
Meanwhile, the Bruins, Stanley Cup champions from 2011, are expecting another nasty affair in Game 2.
That wasn’t the only incident of note.
“He speared me in the privates, so I kinda reacted,” Marchand told CSNNE.com. “It’s pretty simple.
“It was the end of the game and we were up by a couple of goals, so it seemed like they were trying to send a message. But stuff happens in hockey. It’s a different game in the playoffs. It’s a completely different atmosphere where the game amps up a little bit, and it gets a lot more physical.”
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)