May 2, 2013, 11:50 PM EST
So, the Maple Leafs’ first playoff game since the spring of 2004 didn’t go like folks in Toronto had hoped.
The Maple Leafs were soundly thumped by a final score of 4-1 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday.
The Leafs, who actually opened the scoring, were outshot 40-20 and couldn’t match the Bruins’ tenacity in all three zones of the rink.
“We were responding too much to what they were doing,” Leafs defenceman Mark Fraser told Sportsnet.ca on Thursday.
“We had a pretty good start but they weathered the storm nicely and then just kind of brought it right back against us. We really need to dictate.
“They had a great forecheck (Wednesday) night and just kind of kept us in our zone.”
Meanwhile, the Bruins, Stanley Cup champions from 2011, are expecting another nasty affair in Game 2.
That wasn’t the only incident of note.
“He speared me in the privates, so I kinda reacted,” Marchand told CSNNE.com. “It’s pretty simple.
“It was the end of the game and we were up by a couple of goals, so it seemed like they were trying to send a message. But stuff happens in hockey. It’s a different game in the playoffs. It’s a completely different atmosphere where the game amps up a little bit, and it gets a lot more physical.”
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)