May 2, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
So, the Maple Leafs’ first playoff game since the spring of 2004 didn’t go like folks in Toronto had hoped.
The Maple Leafs were soundly thumped by a final score of 4-1 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday.
The Leafs, who actually opened the scoring, were outshot 40-20 and couldn’t match the Bruins’ tenacity in all three zones of the rink.
“We were responding too much to what they were doing,” Leafs defenceman Mark Fraser told Sportsnet.ca on Thursday.
“We had a pretty good start but they weathered the storm nicely and then just kind of brought it right back against us. We really need to dictate.
“They had a great forecheck (Wednesday) night and just kind of kept us in our zone.”
Meanwhile, the Bruins, Stanley Cup champions from 2011, are expecting another nasty affair in Game 2.
That wasn’t the only incident of note.
“He speared me in the privates, so I kinda reacted,” Marchand told CSNNE.com. “It’s pretty simple.
“It was the end of the game and we were up by a couple of goals, so it seemed like they were trying to send a message. But stuff happens in hockey. It’s a different game in the playoffs. It’s a completely different atmosphere where the game amps up a little bit, and it gets a lot more physical.”
May 6, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Czech netminder has appeared in 27 games for Nashville over the last two seasons.
May 6, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Sweden led 3-0 at one point.
May 6, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Scored 63 goals and 118 points this year for Portland.
May 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
“It’s like a horse race — you can’t stand ten feet ahead of the finish line and determine who won a close race.”
May 6, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Had 89 points in 55 games.
May 6, 2015, 2:26 PM EDT
Yet the Wild coach is now staring it in the face.
May 6, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Teams will meet tonight and again tomorrow in Tampa Bay.
May 6, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“I’m still in between and weighing the options.”
May 6, 2015, 12:35 PM EDT
Calgary’s Bob Hartley is considered the favorite.
May 6, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Recently won a KHL championship.
May 6, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
Reports now suggest Toronto’s interested.
May 6, 2015, 11:13 AM EDT
Deposition slated for no earlier than July.
May 6, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
Fifth-round pick in 2011 spent all of this year in AHL Bridgeport.
May 6, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The same club that finished first in the league standings this year.
May 6, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
They’ve certainly had more success in them in the 2015 playoffs.
May 6, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
The former Sharks coach seems to have interest in Edmonton.
May 6, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
Montreal hopes to avoid falling behind 3-0 in its series against Tampa Bay.
May 6, 2015, 8:04 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
May 6, 2015, 2:31 AM EDT
Anaheim still leads the series 2-1.
May 6, 2015, 1:32 AM EDT
Facing elimination and possible sweep, Minnesota is frustrated.
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 2
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 27
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 25
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)