May 2, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
So, the Maple Leafs’ first playoff game since the spring of 2004 didn’t go like folks in Toronto had hoped.
The Maple Leafs were soundly thumped by a final score of 4-1 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final against the Boston Bruins on Wednesday.
The Leafs, who actually opened the scoring, were outshot 40-20 and couldn’t match the Bruins’ tenacity in all three zones of the rink.
“We were responding too much to what they were doing,” Leafs defenceman Mark Fraser told Sportsnet.ca on Thursday.
“We had a pretty good start but they weathered the storm nicely and then just kind of brought it right back against us. We really need to dictate.
“They had a great forecheck (Wednesday) night and just kind of kept us in our zone.”
Meanwhile, the Bruins, Stanley Cup champions from 2011, are expecting another nasty affair in Game 2.
That wasn’t the only incident of note.
“He speared me in the privates, so I kinda reacted,” Marchand told CSNNE.com. “It’s pretty simple.
“It was the end of the game and we were up by a couple of goals, so it seemed like they were trying to send a message. But stuff happens in hockey. It’s a different game in the playoffs. It’s a completely different atmosphere where the game amps up a little bit, and it gets a lot more physical.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)