May 2, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville led the Blackhawks to an amazing 36-7-5 record.
Paul MacLean helped the Senators into the playoffs despite a rash of injuries to star players.
Michel Therrien has been a great fit in Montreal.
But based on what the Washington Capitals have to say, Adam Oates deserves major consideration for NHL coach of the year.
And, of course, what can you say about the job Oates has done helping Alex Ovechkin get his scoring swagger back?
At the beginning of the season, Oates moved Ovechkin from the left wing, where the organization believed he had grown stale and predictable, to the right, where it was hoped the captain would give defenders something new to think about.
It didn’t work right away — perhaps it would’ve been a smoother transition had there been some preseason games to get comfortable — but sticking to the plan ultimately resulted in Ovechkin leading the NHL with 32 goals.
Communication, the Caps says, is one aspect where Oates excels, particularly compared to the last guy, Dale Hunter.
All compliments aside, Oates’ job wasn’t merely to get the Capitals to the playoffs. This franchise needs to have postseason success. An early exit at the hands of the Rangers and all the good work Oates has done won’t seem so commendable. They’ll just be the same old Caps that can’t get it done when it counts.
Related: Capitals-Rangers preview
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli addressed the media today in Boston.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
After re-upping with Brad Stuart earlier.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
But, “If it is, it is.”
Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Both have over 100 games of NHL experience.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)