May 2, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Even-more-embattled Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette provided effusive praise of the 25-year-old’s first season as the team’s captain to CSNPhilly.com, however.
“I think he did a terrific job as the captain of the team,” Laviolette said. “It was a tough year for a first-year captain, and I think he did a really good job. He has terrific leadership qualities. He’s driven. He is an excellent teammate.
“I think sometimes when you’re not successful — or not as successful as you’d like to be — you really get to, whether you want to or not, use and try that leadership, and it becomes more in the forefront.”
GM Paul Holmgren agrees.
“Claude’s a young captain put into a situation where [there was] a 48-game schedule coming out of the lockout,” Holmgren said. “I think he performed admirably under those circumstances.”
So far, it seems like the organization is happy with Giroux, who generated exactly one point per game in 48 contests this season. With Philly’s expectations, that honeymoon might not last much longer, though.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)