May 2, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
Even-more-embattled Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette provided effusive praise of the 25-year-old’s first season as the team’s captain to CSNPhilly.com, however.
“I think he did a terrific job as the captain of the team,” Laviolette said. “It was a tough year for a first-year captain, and I think he did a really good job. He has terrific leadership qualities. He’s driven. He is an excellent teammate.
“I think sometimes when you’re not successful — or not as successful as you’d like to be — you really get to, whether you want to or not, use and try that leadership, and it becomes more in the forefront.”
GM Paul Holmgren agrees.
“Claude’s a young captain put into a situation where [there was] a 48-game schedule coming out of the lockout,” Holmgren said. “I think he performed admirably under those circumstances.”
So far, it seems like the organization is happy with Giroux, who generated exactly one point per game in 48 contests this season. With Philly’s expectations, that honeymoon might not last much longer, though.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)