May 2, 2013, 1:17 AM EDT
VANCOUVER — The San Jose Sharks broke a 1-1 tie with 10:43 left in the third period when veteran defenseman Dan Boyle pounced on a loose puck that Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo couldn’t corral. All Boyle had to do was snap it into a wide-open net and it was 2-1 for the visitors.
Then, around five minutes later, Patrick Marleau sent many of the fans for the exits with San Jose’s third goal.
The Sharks would hold on for a 3-1 victory and take a 1-0 lead in the series.
Vancouver opened the game’s scoring with an ugly one. With 7:34 remaining in the second, Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa was credited with the tally after a loose puck found its way under and past Antti Niemi following a wild scramble in the crease.
But Canucks forward Zack Kassian took an undisciplined roughing penalty with four minutes left in the second. The big 22-year-old — who was a physical presence all night — got his arms up too high as he hit Logan Couture along the boards. Only 35 seconds later, Couture scored with the man advantage to tie the game, 1-1.
Luongo was brilliant in the first period, making a number of big stops, the best coming off Martin Havlat.
The Canucks are now 2-9 in their last 11 playoff games, dating back to the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. They’ve also lost five straight playoff games at Rogers Arena.
Game 2 goes Friday in Vancouver. Will it be Luongo again? Or, will Cory Schneider be ready to step in?
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)