May 2, 2013, 1:17 AM EDT
VANCOUVER — The San Jose Sharks broke a 1-1 tie with 10:43 left in the third period when veteran defenseman Dan Boyle pounced on a loose puck that Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo couldn’t corral. All Boyle had to do was snap it into a wide-open net and it was 2-1 for the visitors.
Then, around five minutes later, Patrick Marleau sent many of the fans for the exits with San Jose’s third goal.
The Sharks would hold on for a 3-1 victory and take a 1-0 lead in the series.
Vancouver opened the game’s scoring with an ugly one. With 7:34 remaining in the second, Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa was credited with the tally after a loose puck found its way under and past Antti Niemi following a wild scramble in the crease.
But Canucks forward Zack Kassian took an undisciplined roughing penalty with four minutes left in the second. The big 22-year-old — who was a physical presence all night — got his arms up too high as he hit Logan Couture along the boards. Only 35 seconds later, Couture scored with the man advantage to tie the game, 1-1.
Luongo was brilliant in the first period, making a number of big stops, the best coming off Martin Havlat.
The Canucks are now 2-9 in their last 11 playoff games, dating back to the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. They’ve also lost five straight playoff games at Rogers Arena.
Game 2 goes Friday in Vancouver. Will it be Luongo again? Or, will Cory Schneider be ready to step in?
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Anaheim currently has the NHL’s best record as well.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Big win for the B’s.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The West’s first ticket gets punched.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
There’s plenty of debate about it being dirty or clean.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The only update so far is he’s “unlikely to return.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
A positive trend on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh killed the penalty.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Notes from a busy Saturday afternoon.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Nashville’s in a great position to clinch a playoff spot.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
The really busy Saturday matinee edition.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Nashville will aim to clinch without him.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Four teams look to punch their ticket on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Just what the doctor ordered.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
They face the desperate Bruins today.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
He’s a healthy scratch for Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
St. Louis gets Carl Gunnarsson back, too.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)