May 2, 2013, 1:17 AM EST
VANCOUVER — The San Jose Sharks broke a 1-1 tie with 10:43 left in the third period when veteran defenseman Dan Boyle pounced on a loose puck that Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo couldn’t corral. All Boyle had to do was snap it into a wide-open net and it was 2-1 for the visitors.
Then, around five minutes later, Patrick Marleau sent many of the fans for the exits with San Jose’s third goal.
The Sharks would hold on for a 3-1 victory and take a 1-0 lead in the series.
Vancouver opened the game’s scoring with an ugly one. With 7:34 remaining in the second, Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa was credited with the tally after a loose puck found its way under and past Antti Niemi following a wild scramble in the crease.
But Canucks forward Zack Kassian took an undisciplined roughing penalty with four minutes left in the second. The big 22-year-old — who was a physical presence all night — got his arms up too high as he hit Logan Couture along the boards. Only 35 seconds later, Couture scored with the man advantage to tie the game, 1-1.
Luongo was brilliant in the first period, making a number of big stops, the best coming off Martin Havlat.
The Canucks are now 2-9 in their last 11 playoff games, dating back to the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. They’ve also lost five straight playoff games at Rogers Arena.
Game 2 goes Friday in Vancouver. Will it be Luongo again? Or, will Cory Schneider be ready to step in?
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Morgan Rielly to follow?
Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been quite the goalie carousel since 2010.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Minnesota has just five wins from 14 games away from Xcel this season.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
He’d be a huge get for Team Sweden.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
His job might be safe despite the team’s struggles.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Both players might be suspended for their actions last night.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
This is his third suspension.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
These two teams have gone on very different paths since the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)