May 2, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
People expecting a sluggish, defense-only chess match between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens in Game 1 were likely shocked to witness a wild affair on Thursday night. The Senators stole one 4-2 in a contest jam-packed with action.
Let’s get to the talking points:
- So, how good is Craig Anderson? The Habs fired 50 shots on the red-hot goalie, but they could only get two pucks through him.
- Conversely, should the Habs remain worried about Carey Price? He wasn’t outright awful, yet he did allow a goal or two that he’d like back and was out-played by the lesser-paid, less-hyped netminder on the other end.
- Two of the best defensemen in the NHL were on display on Thursday, as P.K. Subban and Erik Karlsson both enjoyed fantastic nights. If you had to pick one of the two, which one would you build your team around?
- Important note: Game 2 of this series is on Friday. Which team has the advantage in such a short turnaround time?
- On a similar note, which Senators player should take the spot likely vacated by Lars Eller?
- Where does this intense game rank with the opening nights of the playoffs’ other series so far?
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)