May 2, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
People expecting a sluggish, defense-only chess match between the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens in Game 1 were likely shocked to witness a wild affair on Thursday night. The Senators stole one 4-2 in a contest jam-packed with action.
Let’s get to the talking points:
- So, how good is Craig Anderson? The Habs fired 50 shots on the red-hot goalie, but they could only get two pucks through him.
- Conversely, should the Habs remain worried about Carey Price? He wasn’t outright awful, yet he did allow a goal or two that he’d like back and was out-played by the lesser-paid, less-hyped netminder on the other end.
- Two of the best defensemen in the NHL were on display on Thursday, as P.K. Subban and Erik Karlsson both enjoyed fantastic nights. If you had to pick one of the two, which one would you build your team around?
- Important note: Game 2 of this series is on Friday. Which team has the advantage in such a short turnaround time?
- On a similar note, which Senators player should take the spot likely vacated by Lars Eller?
- Where does this intense game rank with the opening nights of the playoffs’ other series so far?
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)