May 2, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals reminded the hockey world why they finished the 2013 season as one of the NHL’s hottest teams on Thursday, beating the New York Rangers 3-1 in Game 1. Let’s discuss the contest:
- Henrik Lundqvist kept an out-matched Rangers team in the game early on before being overwhelmed by a second period barrage. Can he make enough of a difference for New York to confirm all the dark horse talk they took into the postseason?
- The Capitals survived a big 5-on-3 in the middle frame. Of course, the Rangers might look at it more as a failure on their part. Can the Blueshirts turn around their shaky power play?
- How dangerous is Washington? Could the Capitals once again be one of the teams that people expect to impede the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Stanley Cup hopes more than anyone else? (Looking way ahead, obviously.)
- On a scale of 1-0, how unpleasant do you expect John Tortorella to be after tonight’s game?
- What changes do the Rangers need to make to get closer in Game 2?
- Was a play that went under review with 4:03 left in the third period actually a goal?
Apr 21, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Ovechkin looks to bump the slump as the Caps try to avoid falling behind 3-1 in their series with the Islanders.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
The GM hasn’t taken kindly to recent criticism of his hockey club.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 25
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 41
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 95
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (95)