Crosby skates with Kunitz-Dupuis, practices on power play

May 2, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

While he’s yet to officially receive medical clearance from his broken jaw, Sidney Crosby continues to look like a player prepping to get back into the lineup.

On Thursday, Crosby again participated in Pittsburgh’s practice — but this time, he skated with usual linemaes Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis, a promotion from the “fifth-liners” he was skating with yesterday.

Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Crosby was also practicing with the first power play unit.

The Pens opened their Eastern Conference quarterfinal against the Isles on Wednesday with a 5-0 win and won’t play again until Friday, leaving Crosby and the organization another day to update playing status.

While Wednesday’s blowout might suggest there’s no need to rush him back, the Pens did lose forward James Neal to a possible ankle injury (currently listed as lower-body) on a hit from New York defenseman Travis Hamonic.

Neal left the game and didn’t return, and didn’t participate in Thursday’s practice.

1. jpelle82 - May 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

still dont think he is coming back before next week or the next series but who knows, pens go up 3-0 maybe bylsma puts him in for game 4 to get used to game speed before rd 2.

2. jpelle82 - May 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM

i see a MRI in Neal’s future. he immediately knew it was bad when he was on his knees looking back to hamonic, he didnt seem like he was in a ton of pain though which makes me believe something popped instead of a bruise type injury.

3. orangandblack - May 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM

He’s not needed now. Round 2 will be another story

4. myroncopesflask - May 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Sure would be nice to see Sid back in the lineup. The last time the Pens had a stacked roster like this was in 1993 when the Islanders spoiled the 3 peat for the best team in Pens history. With Crosby in the lineup I think this team has a chance of going down in history as one of the best ever. I understand it is not a dynasty but considering the salary cap era the roster Shero has put together for this playoff run can be compaired to any line-up of any era.I almost forgot to mention… 1975

5. hockeywithdrawal - May 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM

As chippy as it’s getting (and the way Morrow hammered on JT all night) I just hope they make sure he can take a hit first. He’s probably going to take some.

And DAMMIT can Neal catch a break please? Bennett up on the 2nd line, Jeffrey or Vitale in on the 4th, and everyone else stays put (you KNOW TK is going in, though, dammit)…

• jpelle82 - May 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

i’m hoping tk has a great game and shuts us up because if he doesnt it’s gonna bring that whole 4th line down with him.

6. mclovinhockey - May 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

@myronco, guess you are trying to be funny with the 1975 comment that been said 3 million times before, but all it does is make your entire post look like it was written by an unoriginal moron. Philly missed the playoffs, to bring something up that is irrelevant to the post just to try to stir the pens Vs flyers argument even more is pathetic.
    Let it die for now, once there is a post relevant to the topic then you can say that and Flyers fans can bring up how you have gone bankrupt twice (almost 3 times) and say how the pens fan base is pathetic.

• bigrboland - May 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Wah, wah, wah…..Crybaby.

• bigrboland - May 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM

The Pens have a pathetic fan base you say? I’ll bet the Root Sports network would disagree with you. One of the best hockey markets in the US. And the 279 consecutive sellouts shows how uninformed and moronic YOU are.

• bman7206 - May 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Does that include Steeler fans that spit on people? Disgusting clowns.

• theageofquarrel - May 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

What do the Steelers have to do with any of this? Grasping at straws I say.

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

There’s no reason Pitt shouldn’t be selling out the building with a team as stacked as they are………

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM

You mean Root Sports Network that is a shell company of the Pittsburgh Penguins???…..hhhmmmmm sounds a bit fishy

• theageofquarrel - May 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Root Sports is owned by DirecTv

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Which is owned by Mario Lemuix

• tk1966 - May 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM

1975

• malkamania71 - May 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Pot calling the Kettle black, eh?

• myroncopesflask - May 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I’m sorry Mclovin I really can’t help but to put that 1975 after most of my posts. It’s my way of sniffing out trolls that support non playoff teams. You know the ones that like to read any article or comment about their rival that just so happens to be a model for how a team should be ran in the new NHL. I understand why you troll the Pens so much.. I really do. I mean if my team went almost 40 years without winning a cup I would love to see what a real team looks like. The funny thing about your bankrupt comment is that it just points out what an amazing job mario has done to rebuild a franchise that was run into the ground by a shady owner. The funnier thing is that your team has always had every available resource and not once have they figured out how to put together a champion over the better part of 4 decades.
      Like I said I understand your envy. Can you honestly say that you prefer your team to waste mass amounts of money for 40 years? Any time a troll brings up the bankruptcy i’m sorry to say that it only makes true Pens fans a little prouder of what Mario has done for us.

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Wow……so poetic….bet it makes you feel real good too….pump out that chest……rub everybodies nose in it….oh SO classy.

The bigger they are….the harder they fall.

You haven’t won sh*t yet but you go ahead you….enjoy

Have a lovely day.

• holeecowman - May 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

“It’s my way of sniffing out trolls that support non playoff teams.”

talk about being childish.
      ok since you want to go there who has the better playoff record philly or pitt.
      who deliberately tanks for multiple seasons just to get the 1st pick
      who has the most non playoff appearances
      sure its been a long time since philly won the cup.
      but philly never threatened to move due to lack of fan support or because the city refused to build a new arena.
      and whos the cry baby lol smh

• bigrboland - May 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

You are a very uninformed, ignorant, and humorous person. Deliberately tanking multiple seasons…. Hilarious! Threaten to move due to lack of fan support….even funnier. Enjoy watching the playoffs, even though it’s so much more enjoyable when the team you root for is actually a part of the postseason. Na na a boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Watch your tongue holeecowman….they don’t like hearing about tanking seasons and empty buildings.

OH NO….now I will feel the wrath…………run away….save yourself….

• myroncopesflask - May 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I wonder if the concept has ever crept into you thought process that it was impossible for the Pens to compete when Mario took over the team as they were past due on huge contracts from the previous shady owner. You call it tanking i would call it surviving. can’t really debate the most wins and playoff trips. The only playoff record I really care about is the number of times the teams I follow win the last game played. I have been lucky enough to see my team win 3 cups in my lifetime. I really can’t speak for the crappy crowds at the igloo when the pens sucked. I am the 1st to admit the Pittburgh is packed with fair weather fans. Are any of those points you made supposed to mean anything? Now i did not result to name calling. yet… I just wonder if mclovin and holecow are the two different mouth breathing window lickers or if both of those names are same mouth breathing window licker who finally figured out his/her mom’s password to access the internets. I do have to assume that you are still living in your mom’s basement. Right?

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Whatever tough guy….good for your franchise you sucked long enough to accumulate a once in a generation player and sucked enough to grab other top 5 talent…….you want a cookie now?

• mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

@bigrboland, calling someone uninformed who is 100% correct is a bit confusing.

7. malvaren18 - May 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Take your time Crosby, wait to the next series, this one shouldn’t take longer then5 games, that is being optimistic.

8. 19to77 - May 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Any word on Jokinen and Neal? If they’re missing time, it raises the odds of an early Crosby return in my mind, both for centre depth and scoring reasons.

• theageofquarrel - May 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Jokinen practiced, Neal and Martin did not.

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM

As long as Sid is back to put the entire team on his back there will be no problems what so ever.

• upyoursnfu - May 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Martin did practice. He was a few minutes late per Shelly Anderson

• valoisvipers - May 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Thanks for the update news, glad to hear Jussi practiced. What is up with Martin?

• steelturf76 - May 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM

According to multiple Twitter feeds Martin joined practice late and was on the top PP unit with Letang.

• 19to77 - May 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Hmmm… sounds safe to keep him out longer, then. The others seem to have this well under control. Plus, the last thing they need is for Sid to jump in before he’s ready and get some talentless hack like Reasoner cheapshotting him right back out again.

9. haterzinc - May 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Lol @ the random “1975” s …#stacked

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Hi haterzinc…..

• haterzinc - May 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I get a chuckle at the randomness. Every team has there trolls…hana

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

They do ………I’m just learning that now

10. valoisjoeybfeld69 - May 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Looks like our fellow commenter had it all wrong… or does he? You know, this guys jaw was badly damaged, and his tongue had to be re-attached. Yikes! He’s probably had enough of milkshakes and soups.

“I think the earliest we see him is if Pens make it to 3rd round or finals otherwise see you next year Sid.”

11. mclovinhockey - May 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

@myronc, actually I read all articles, I am a die hard hockey fan first. I have been where hockey was created, the first ever game, 9 on 9 with a squared puck.

Hockey is in my blood.

The pens were about to declare their 3rd bankruptcy during the lockout, they were preparing to be sold, a lot like what’s going on with the coyotes now. Then Gary stepped in, Mario went and visited Crosby, they liked each other, Mario made a room for Sid in his house, followed finally by the pens winning the lotto. Your fan base is from 05 and on, it’s embarrassing.

So call me a troll for having a lot more hockey knowledge than you, but that does not change the fact I am a true hockey fan.

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

There is no reasoning with zealots

• fbothharbaughs - May 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

So by your hockey “knowledge”, did the Flyers tank this season in order to get a lottery pick?

• laxman1944 - May 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

They won to close it out……..I would have to disagree with your comment sir.

• fbothharbaughs - May 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What about the other 40 or so games?

• mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No, they had a bad year, if they would have tanked they would not have gone out winning. Even if they would have lost that last game, they would have gotten a much better pick… I think they jumped 4 spots due to that win.

• fbothharbaughs - May 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Just like the Pens had a bad year in ’83

• theageofquarrel - May 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Well I guess we all got told how it is. We can all leave this site because of someones “hockey knowledge” set us all straight. Seeing how some of us have been on the “bandwagon” like myself since ’67.

• handsofsweed - May 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I checked in for good in the 1988-89 season where we lost to Philly in the 2nd round. The funny part is, I’ve probably been a Pens fan as long or longer than the vast majority of Flyer fans on this board have been rooting for Philly.

Technically, I’m a bandwagon fan. We all are. At some point, you decide to become a fan of a team. The End.

• mclovinhockey - May 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I have said it before, and I will say it again. The bandwagon remarks are only to the bandwagon fans… pretty much 99 out of every 100 fans from 05 on are bandwagon pens fans.

12. Stiller43 - May 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Mclovinhockey,

To say the whole fan base is from 05 on is misguided at best. Im only 24, but ive been going to games and watching them my whole life.

If youre saying that the pens gained more fans after the got crosby (and thus got a lot better), i would say yeah, no sh*t, any team will have more fans when they do better.

13. csilojohnson - May 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Crosby will be in as soon as tbe doctors clear him. There will be no decision for Bylsma or Crosby to make.
    Its the playoffs…

Bruins faithful should be worried

Top 10 NHL Player Searches