May 2, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks won only 43 per cent of their faceoffs in Game 1 against the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday, and apparently there is a reason why.
“I would say, what would be logical for us to try and get to is 50 per cent against such a good team,” Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault told reporters following the team’s practice at Rogers Arena.
“Some of that is sometimes jumping and maybe making more scrums and winning those one-on-ones instead of trying to beat some of those guys clean, the way they cheat and they are allowed to cheat. It makes it more challenging.”
Sharks center and captain Joe Thornton, who won 50 per cent of the 20 faceoffs he took in a 3-1 San Jose win, had a rather succinct response when asked what he thought of someone saying his team cheats in the circle.
“I don’t think we’re cheating,” he said.
Reporter: “If someone says that to you…?”
Thornton: “I don’t listen.”
The Canucks, trailing 1-0 in the series and in a desperate bid to generate some scoring, shuffled the lines at Thursday’s practice.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)