May 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are reaching for the top.
Except, in this case, their fans may not like it.
Per the Sun-Times, ‘Hawks season-ticket prices for the 2013-14 season are set to climb by an average of 16 percent.
And that doesn’t include the March 1 outdoor game at Soldier Field against the Penguins.
Chris Werner, the team’s vice president of ticket operations, tells the paper that the ‘Hawks have been forced to play catch-up when it comes to pricing relative to the rest of their peers around the league.
“It’s a major market team, and ownership and management have really updated so many things about this franchise,” he said.
“We’re trying to get the price point to what is appropriate for a major market team.”
Chicago led the NHL in attendance in 2013, averaging 21,775 through the gates at the United Center.
The average Blackhawks ticket cost $62.88, according to the Team Marketing Report Fan Cost Index (PDF).
The league average was $61.01.
Toronto had the most expensive ticket ($124.69); Dallas had the cheapest ($36.09).
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)