May 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are reaching for the top.
Except, in this case, their fans may not like it.
Per the Sun-Times, ‘Hawks season-ticket prices for the 2013-14 season are set to climb by an average of 16 percent.
And that doesn’t include the March 1 outdoor game at Soldier Field against the Penguins.
Chris Werner, the team’s vice president of ticket operations, tells the paper that the ‘Hawks have been forced to play catch-up when it comes to pricing relative to the rest of their peers around the league.
“It’s a major market team, and ownership and management have really updated so many things about this franchise,” he said.
“We’re trying to get the price point to what is appropriate for a major market team.”
Chicago led the NHL in attendance in 2013, averaging 21,775 through the gates at the United Center.
The average Blackhawks ticket cost $62.88, according to the Team Marketing Report Fan Cost Index (PDF).
The league average was $61.01.
Toronto had the most expensive ticket ($124.69); Dallas had the cheapest ($36.09).
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)