May 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are reaching for the top.
Except, in this case, their fans may not like it.
Per the Sun-Times, ‘Hawks season-ticket prices for the 2013-14 season are set to climb by an average of 16 percent.
And that doesn’t include the March 1 outdoor game at Soldier Field against the Penguins.
Chris Werner, the team’s vice president of ticket operations, tells the paper that the ‘Hawks have been forced to play catch-up when it comes to pricing relative to the rest of their peers around the league.
“It’s a major market team, and ownership and management have really updated so many things about this franchise,” he said.
“We’re trying to get the price point to what is appropriate for a major market team.”
Chicago led the NHL in attendance in 2013, averaging 21,775 through the gates at the United Center.
The average Blackhawks ticket cost $62.88, according to the Team Marketing Report Fan Cost Index (PDF).
The league average was $61.01.
Toronto had the most expensive ticket ($124.69); Dallas had the cheapest ($36.09).
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)