May 2, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks are reaching for the top.
Except, in this case, their fans may not like it.
Per the Sun-Times, ‘Hawks season-ticket prices for the 2013-14 season are set to climb by an average of 16 percent.
And that doesn’t include the March 1 outdoor game at Soldier Field against the Penguins.
Chris Werner, the team’s vice president of ticket operations, tells the paper that the ‘Hawks have been forced to play catch-up when it comes to pricing relative to the rest of their peers around the league.
“It’s a major market team, and ownership and management have really updated so many things about this franchise,” he said.
“We’re trying to get the price point to what is appropriate for a major market team.”
Chicago led the NHL in attendance in 2013, averaging 21,775 through the gates at the United Center.
The average Blackhawks ticket cost $62.88, according to the Team Marketing Report Fan Cost Index (PDF).
The league average was $61.01.
Toronto had the most expensive ticket ($124.69); Dallas had the cheapest ($36.09).
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)