May 1, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks open their first-round playoff series tonight at Rogers Arena versus the San Jose Sharks, but postseason excitement isn’t exactly sweeping the city.
Among the potential explanations:
—- Playoff fatigue. Unlike, say, Toronto, Vancouver has hosted plenty of postseason games the past few seasons.
—- Tickets aren’t cheap. Better to save up for later rounds, if the Canucks get that far. Speaking of which…
—- Lowered expectations. Confidence in the team was shaken after the loss to the Bruins in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, and was shaken more after last year’s first-round defeat to the Kings. In 2013, after back-to-back Presidents’ Trophy wins, the Canucks finished eighth overall in the standings.
—- A less entertaining product. Even the Canucks admit they don’t play the same up-tempo brand of hockey anymore.
—- The opponent. The Canucks and Sharks met in the 2011 Western Conference finals, but it wasn’t a particularly memorable series, and there’s not the rivalry with San Jose as there is with a team like Chicago.
—- Lingering resentment over the lockout.
Having said all that, the Canucks are still a major topic of conversation in town. If the result is a good one tonight for the home side, it won’t take long for playoff fever to strike again.
Related: Canucks-Sharks series preview
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 0
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 3
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)