May 1, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference might draw some attention from the league office for this elbow on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski, which happened in the first period of Game 1 on Wednesday:
Referees must have missed the hit, as Ference didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
The 34-year-old has had his moments of controversy, perhaps most memorably when he “accidentally” offered an obscene gesture to Montreal Canadiens fans. He’s also delivered a few questionable hits, leading the National Post’s Bruce Arthur to provide a stern assessment of the blueliner:
Andrew Ference is sneaky dirty. His shrug-look-the-other-way headshot on Jeff Halpern in 2011 was the best example.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 1, 2013
It’s been a rough start to the game for Grabovski, so we’ll make note of whether he misses some time or not.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5