May 1, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference might draw some attention from the league office for this elbow on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski, which happened in the first period of Game 1 on Wednesday:
Referees must have missed the hit, as Ference didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
The 34-year-old has had his moments of controversy, perhaps most memorably when he “accidentally” offered an obscene gesture to Montreal Canadiens fans. He’s also delivered a few questionable hits, leading the National Post’s Bruce Arthur to provide a stern assessment of the blueliner:
Andrew Ference is sneaky dirty. His shrug-look-the-other-way headshot on Jeff Halpern in 2011 was the best example.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 1, 2013
It’s been a rough start to the game for Grabovski, so we’ll make note of whether he misses some time or not.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)