May 1, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference might draw some attention from the league office for this elbow on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski, which happened in the first period of Game 1 on Wednesday:
Referees must have missed the hit, as Ference didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
The 34-year-old has had his moments of controversy, perhaps most memorably when he “accidentally” offered an obscene gesture to Montreal Canadiens fans. He’s also delivered a few questionable hits, leading the National Post’s Bruce Arthur to provide a stern assessment of the blueliner:
Andrew Ference is sneaky dirty. His shrug-look-the-other-way headshot on Jeff Halpern in 2011 was the best example.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 1, 2013
It’s been a rough start to the game for Grabovski, so we’ll make note of whether he misses some time or not.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13