May 1, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference might draw some attention from the league office for this elbow on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikhail Grabovski, which happened in the first period of Game 1 on Wednesday:
Referees must have missed the hit, as Ference didn’t receive a penalty on the play.
The 34-year-old has had his moments of controversy, perhaps most memorably when he “accidentally” offered an obscene gesture to Montreal Canadiens fans. He’s also delivered a few questionable hits, leading the National Post’s Bruce Arthur to provide a stern assessment of the blueliner:
Andrew Ference is sneaky dirty. His shrug-look-the-other-way headshot on Jeff Halpern in 2011 was the best example.
— Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) May 1, 2013
It’s been a rough start to the game for Grabovski, so we’ll make note of whether he misses some time or not.
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 5
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 43
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 18
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13