May 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
Wednesday’s playoff opener represents a slew of firsts for the New York Islanders, but the Pittsburgh Penguins garnered the most significant ones so far in Game 1 of their series.
Rookie Beau Bennett scored the first postseason goal of his career and the first of this matchup to open up the scoring 1-0:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s probably not that different from how he dreamed it up, really.
The Islanders are still waiting for their first goal since they lost Game 5 to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3. As of this writing, Chris Campoli remains the last Isles player to find the net in the postseason (which happened on April 20, 2007).
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6