May 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Wednesday’s playoff opener represents a slew of firsts for the New York Islanders, but the Pittsburgh Penguins garnered the most significant ones so far in Game 1 of their series.
Rookie Beau Bennett scored the first postseason goal of his career and the first of this matchup to open up the scoring 1-0:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s probably not that different from how he dreamed it up, really.
The Islanders are still waiting for their first goal since they lost Game 5 to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3. As of this writing, Chris Campoli remains the last Isles player to find the net in the postseason (which happened on April 20, 2007).
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)