May 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Wednesday’s playoff opener represents a slew of firsts for the New York Islanders, but the Pittsburgh Penguins garnered the most significant ones so far in Game 1 of their series.
Rookie Beau Bennett scored the first postseason goal of his career and the first of this matchup to open up the scoring 1-0:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s probably not that different from how he dreamed it up, really.
The Islanders are still waiting for their first goal since they lost Game 5 to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3. As of this writing, Chris Campoli remains the last Isles player to find the net in the postseason (which happened on April 20, 2007).
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)