May 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Wednesday’s playoff opener represents a slew of firsts for the New York Islanders, but the Pittsburgh Penguins garnered the most significant ones so far in Game 1 of their series.
Rookie Beau Bennett scored the first postseason goal of his career and the first of this matchup to open up the scoring 1-0:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s probably not that different from how he dreamed it up, really.
The Islanders are still waiting for their first goal since they lost Game 5 to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3. As of this writing, Chris Campoli remains the last Isles player to find the net in the postseason (which happened on April 20, 2007).
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 0
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 5
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 54
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)