May 1, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Wednesday’s playoff opener represents a slew of firsts for the New York Islanders, but the Pittsburgh Penguins garnered the most significant ones so far in Game 1 of their series.
Rookie Beau Bennett scored the first postseason goal of his career and the first of this matchup to open up the scoring 1-0:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s probably not that different from how he dreamed it up, really.
The Islanders are still waiting for their first goal since they lost Game 5 to the Buffalo Sabres 4-3. As of this writing, Chris Campoli remains the last Isles player to find the net in the postseason (which happened on April 20, 2007).
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)