May 1, 2013, 4:05 PM EST
After declaring the Maple Leafs would defeat the Bruins in six games, Toronto mayor Rob Ford extended an invite to Boston mayor Thomas Menino for a wager on the series.
Turns out it’s a no-go.
Menino, having recently broken his leg and still dealing with the Boston Marathon bombing aftermath, declined Ford’s invitation to bet on the opening round of the playoffs.
Here’s more, from the Globe and Mail:
“I was told the bet is not on and I appreciate it,” Mr. Ford told reporters after an appearance at Sick Kids Children’s hospital.
“They have gone through some really, really tough times down there. He didn’t want to bet at this time. That’s fine. I accept that. What happened down there is a lot more important than a hockey game,” said Mr. Ford.
The rejected wager will also give Ford extra time to work on his football moves.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:12 PM EST
For a sixth-round pick.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
“This is our adversity,” says Paul Maurice.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have to be frustrated.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Dec 18, 2014, 2:16 PM EST
“Hopefully he can get in there and find his game.”
Dec 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
The Oilers’ farm team could be moving west in 2015-16.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Joins Jacob Trouba, Zach Bogosian and Tobias Enstrom on the shelf.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“Sometimes it’s one step forward and two steps back.”
Dec 18, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
With a hairline fracture in his ankle.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
Along with builder Fran Rider, and former Swedish international Maria Rooth.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Former 20-goal scorer — and Stanley Cup winner — has been a bust in Nashville.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
“It’s a pretty simple game I play, and if they’re not a fan of it, I’ve got to play somewhere else, I guess.”
Dec 18, 2014, 11:36 AM EST
Where he’ll play alongside Rangers forward Anthony Duclair.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
The 21-year-old had three points in four games.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Thomas Greiss is being isolated in case he also has the ailment.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:49 AM EST
“He respected all of you unconditionally.”
Dec 18, 2014, 8:34 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:25 AM EST
Vancouver has now lost a season-high five straight.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Chris Stewart is one name, which has been linked to Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:40 AM EST
He’s even walking under his own power according to the report.
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 0
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21