May 1, 2013, 1:52 AM EDT
Who really knows what was going through Kevin Shattenkirk‘s mind when he made the long skate to the penalty box in overtime.
The St. Louis Blues defenseman was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking L.A. Kings forward Dustin Penner at the 12:45-mark of the first extra period. It certainly looked like a good chance for the Kings to somehow steal Game 1 of the Western Conference quarter-final against the Blues, despite being badly outplayed for most of the night and badly outshot.
But in a whacky turn of events, and with Shattenkirk feeling shame in the penalty box, Alexander Steen capitalized on the puck-handling mistake of Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick behind the L.A. net, and scored short-handed to give the Blues the win.
“I owe Steener many thanks and maybe a couple dinners,” Shattenkirk told NHL.com. “I think I might have thrown the guy in the penalty box out of the way to get out on the ice. It was a very big relief.
“It was a play that was a reactionary play. [Penner] manages to kind of get the puck in my feet. I go to lift his stick … you have to control your stick and it was a tough break. My heart sank a little bit there and a little bit nervous in the box no doubt, but you could tell from the beginning of the penalty kill the guys were ready to kill it off and help me out.
“Obviously getting a goal on it is one way to end it and kind of get through it.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)