May 1, 2013, 1:52 AM EDT
Who really knows what was going through Kevin Shattenkirk‘s mind when he made the long skate to the penalty box in overtime.
The St. Louis Blues defenseman was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking L.A. Kings forward Dustin Penner at the 12:45-mark of the first extra period. It certainly looked like a good chance for the Kings to somehow steal Game 1 of the Western Conference quarter-final against the Blues, despite being badly outplayed for most of the night and badly outshot.
But in a whacky turn of events, and with Shattenkirk feeling shame in the penalty box, Alexander Steen capitalized on the puck-handling mistake of Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick behind the L.A. net, and scored short-handed to give the Blues the win.
“I owe Steener many thanks and maybe a couple dinners,” Shattenkirk told NHL.com. “I think I might have thrown the guy in the penalty box out of the way to get out on the ice. It was a very big relief.
“It was a play that was a reactionary play. [Penner] manages to kind of get the puck in my feet. I go to lift his stick … you have to control your stick and it was a tough break. My heart sank a little bit there and a little bit nervous in the box no doubt, but you could tell from the beginning of the penalty kill the guys were ready to kill it off and help me out.
“Obviously getting a goal on it is one way to end it and kind of get through it.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)