May 1, 2013, 1:52 AM EST
Who really knows what was going through Kevin Shattenkirk‘s mind when he made the long skate to the penalty box in overtime.
The St. Louis Blues defenseman was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking L.A. Kings forward Dustin Penner at the 12:45-mark of the first extra period. It certainly looked like a good chance for the Kings to somehow steal Game 1 of the Western Conference quarter-final against the Blues, despite being badly outplayed for most of the night and badly outshot.
But in a whacky turn of events, and with Shattenkirk feeling shame in the penalty box, Alexander Steen capitalized on the puck-handling mistake of Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick behind the L.A. net, and scored short-handed to give the Blues the win.
“I owe Steener many thanks and maybe a couple dinners,” Shattenkirk told NHL.com. “I think I might have thrown the guy in the penalty box out of the way to get out on the ice. It was a very big relief.
“It was a play that was a reactionary play. [Penner] manages to kind of get the puck in my feet. I go to lift his stick … you have to control your stick and it was a tough break. My heart sank a little bit there and a little bit nervous in the box no doubt, but you could tell from the beginning of the penalty kill the guys were ready to kill it off and help me out.
“Obviously getting a goal on it is one way to end it and kind of get through it.”
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)