May 1, 2013, 1:52 AM EDT
Who really knows what was going through Kevin Shattenkirk‘s mind when he made the long skate to the penalty box in overtime.
The St. Louis Blues defenseman was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking L.A. Kings forward Dustin Penner at the 12:45-mark of the first extra period. It certainly looked like a good chance for the Kings to somehow steal Game 1 of the Western Conference quarter-final against the Blues, despite being badly outplayed for most of the night and badly outshot.
But in a whacky turn of events, and with Shattenkirk feeling shame in the penalty box, Alexander Steen capitalized on the puck-handling mistake of Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick behind the L.A. net, and scored short-handed to give the Blues the win.
“I owe Steener many thanks and maybe a couple dinners,” Shattenkirk told NHL.com. “I think I might have thrown the guy in the penalty box out of the way to get out on the ice. It was a very big relief.
“It was a play that was a reactionary play. [Penner] manages to kind of get the puck in my feet. I go to lift his stick … you have to control your stick and it was a tough break. My heart sank a little bit there and a little bit nervous in the box no doubt, but you could tell from the beginning of the penalty kill the guys were ready to kill it off and help me out.
“Obviously getting a goal on it is one way to end it and kind of get through it.”
- All eyes on Lundqvist 3
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)