May 1, 2013, 1:52 AM EDT
Who really knows what was going through Kevin Shattenkirk‘s mind when he made the long skate to the penalty box in overtime.
The St. Louis Blues defenseman was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking L.A. Kings forward Dustin Penner at the 12:45-mark of the first extra period. It certainly looked like a good chance for the Kings to somehow steal Game 1 of the Western Conference quarter-final against the Blues, despite being badly outplayed for most of the night and badly outshot.
But in a whacky turn of events, and with Shattenkirk feeling shame in the penalty box, Alexander Steen capitalized on the puck-handling mistake of Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick behind the L.A. net, and scored short-handed to give the Blues the win.
“I owe Steener many thanks and maybe a couple dinners,” Shattenkirk told NHL.com. “I think I might have thrown the guy in the penalty box out of the way to get out on the ice. It was a very big relief.
“It was a play that was a reactionary play. [Penner] manages to kind of get the puck in my feet. I go to lift his stick … you have to control your stick and it was a tough break. My heart sank a little bit there and a little bit nervous in the box no doubt, but you could tell from the beginning of the penalty kill the guys were ready to kill it off and help me out.
“Obviously getting a goal on it is one way to end it and kind of get through it.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)