May 1, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
Even though Craig Anderson missed 18 games this season with an ankle injury, his head coach says that shouldn’t prevent him from being a major award candidate.
“Craig has been outstanding,” Paul MacLean told OttawaSenators.com. “I think for sure he should be considered for the Vezina Trophy and even the Hart Trophy for what he has brought to our team, but the Vezina Trophy for sure.”
In terms of the major statistical goaltending categories, it’s hard to argue with MacLean.
Anderson led the NHL with a 1.69 goals-against average and a .941 save percentage. He also finished tied for 11th in shutouts, with three, an impressive number considering how few games he played.
That limited amount of playing time, though, could end up being his downfall.
Anderson ranks 24th in saves (637), 25th in starts (24) and 26th in total time on ice (1,420:36). As such, his overall workload mirrors that of goalies in time-share situations, like Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth, or Chicago’s Corey Crawford and Ray Emery.
As for the Hart Trophy…
There’s no denying Anderson is a vital piece of the Senators, but it’s hard to justify he was even the most valuable player on his team this season.
The case could even be made that, during an injury-riddled ’13 campaign, the performances of leading scorer Kyle Turris or veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar (who played 48 and 45 games respectively) were most vital to Ottawa’s success.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Warning: it’s a bloody scene for Ceci.
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Tough blow for Montreal.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
With Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Deadline deal could end up being a masterstroke.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Columbus is fighting hard for a spot in the postseason.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)