May 1, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
Even though Craig Anderson missed 18 games this season with an ankle injury, his head coach says that shouldn’t prevent him from being a major award candidate.
“Craig has been outstanding,” Paul MacLean told OttawaSenators.com. “I think for sure he should be considered for the Vezina Trophy and even the Hart Trophy for what he has brought to our team, but the Vezina Trophy for sure.”
In terms of the major statistical goaltending categories, it’s hard to argue with MacLean.
Anderson led the NHL with a 1.69 goals-against average and a .941 save percentage. He also finished tied for 11th in shutouts, with three, an impressive number considering how few games he played.
That limited amount of playing time, though, could end up being his downfall.
Anderson ranks 24th in saves (637), 25th in starts (24) and 26th in total time on ice (1,420:36). As such, his overall workload mirrors that of goalies in time-share situations, like Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth, or Chicago’s Corey Crawford and Ray Emery.
As for the Hart Trophy…
There’s no denying Anderson is a vital piece of the Senators, but it’s hard to justify he was even the most valuable player on his team this season.
The case could even be made that, during an injury-riddled ’13 campaign, the performances of leading scorer Kyle Turris or veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar (who played 48 and 45 games respectively) were most vital to Ottawa’s success.
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
May 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
People like ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
May 29, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Appeared in just 33 games this season.
May 29, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
“I don’t feel any tingling or soreness.”
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
May 29, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Spent the past five seasons in the KHL.
May 29, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
That’s former NHL defenseman and current AHL Binghamton bench boss Luke Richardson.
May 29, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
This according to his club team, Avangard Omsk.
May 29, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
How does it compare to past promos?
May 29, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“The last two years, we were a different team.”
May 29, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Well-traveled journeyman played big minutes for AHL Charlotte last season.
May 29, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
Wes McCauley and Kevin Pollock, who have a fair bit of history working these types of games.
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 0
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 46
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)