May 1, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
Even though Craig Anderson missed 18 games this season with an ankle injury, his head coach says that shouldn’t prevent him from being a major award candidate.
“Craig has been outstanding,” Paul MacLean told OttawaSenators.com. “I think for sure he should be considered for the Vezina Trophy and even the Hart Trophy for what he has brought to our team, but the Vezina Trophy for sure.”
In terms of the major statistical goaltending categories, it’s hard to argue with MacLean.
Anderson led the NHL with a 1.69 goals-against average and a .941 save percentage. He also finished tied for 11th in shutouts, with three, an impressive number considering how few games he played.
That limited amount of playing time, though, could end up being his downfall.
Anderson ranks 24th in saves (637), 25th in starts (24) and 26th in total time on ice (1,420:36). As such, his overall workload mirrors that of goalies in time-share situations, like Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth, or Chicago’s Corey Crawford and Ray Emery.
As for the Hart Trophy…
There’s no denying Anderson is a vital piece of the Senators, but it’s hard to justify he was even the most valuable player on his team this season.
The case could even be made that, during an injury-riddled ’13 campaign, the performances of leading scorer Kyle Turris or veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar (who played 48 and 45 games respectively) were most vital to Ottawa’s success.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:31 PM EST
It was a day they won’t forget.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)