May 1, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
When it came to offence, the Detroit Red Wings couldn’t get much going.
Especially through the first two periods, when they fired a paltry 11 shots on Anaheim Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller. The end result was a 3-1 loss for the Red Wings, who fall behind 1-0 in their first-round series with the Ducks.
It wasn’t until the third period, when the Red Wings were down a goal, that there was any kind of sustained attack.
“We couldn’t really sustain any pressure and time in their end. We were mostly one and done,” said Zetterberg, the Red Wings’ captain, as per a tweet from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
Added Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock to NHL.com: “My biggest concern is that we looked exactly as we did in the first 20 or 25 games of the season, where we couldn’t move the puck on the back [end],” he said.
“We weren’t efficient. We weren’t a five-man unit. We didn’t look organized in that way. We weren’t relentless in the offensive zone because we came with speed. When you spend so much time in your own zone, you spend much time in the offensive zone.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)