May 1, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
When it came to offence, the Detroit Red Wings couldn’t get much going.
Especially through the first two periods, when they fired a paltry 11 shots on Anaheim Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller. The end result was a 3-1 loss for the Red Wings, who fall behind 1-0 in their first-round series with the Ducks.
It wasn’t until the third period, when the Red Wings were down a goal, that there was any kind of sustained attack.
“We couldn’t really sustain any pressure and time in their end. We were mostly one and done,” said Zetterberg, the Red Wings’ captain, as per a tweet from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
Added Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock to NHL.com: “My biggest concern is that we looked exactly as we did in the first 20 or 25 games of the season, where we couldn’t move the puck on the back [end],” he said.
“We weren’t efficient. We weren’t a five-man unit. We didn’t look organized in that way. We weren’t relentless in the offensive zone because we came with speed. When you spend so much time in your own zone, you spend much time in the offensive zone.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)