May 1, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks will be without veteran center Scott Gomez tonight in Vancouver for Game 1 of their first-round series with the Canucks.
Gomez, 33, missed the last two games of the regular season after getting hit by Dallas’ Erik Cole on April 23.
“He’s been a solid centerman for us,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said Wednesday, per CSN Bay Area. “It affects us power play-wise, and what you don’t see or hear, it affects us on the bench and in the locker room.
“The guy has won two Stanley Cup championships. Over the last three weeks, he’s almost been like another coach for us. On the bench, he’s been able to direct guys to do things the right way and help us out – shift length, and that type of stuff. He’s been a big addition there. He won’t play tonight, but we’ll see where we’re at for Game 2.”
Gomez had 15 points in 39 games, including eight power-play assists.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 6
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 23
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42