May 1, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Crosby has been out of the Pittsburgh lineup since March 30, when he broke his jaw in a game against the Islanders.
Yesterday, his doctor said he still needed time to heal.
“He said everything was good,” Crosby said, per the Post-Gazette. “He just wasn’t prepared to declare me (ready) to play. Obviously, I would have loved to have had a chance to play tonight, but that’s not the way it is.
“I wanted to make sure I’m ready when the time comes.”
The Penguins went 8-4-0 without Crosby after he was injured.
For more on the series, click here.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54