May 1, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
Evgeni Nabokov had a message for himself and the rest of the Islanders in the wake of Wednesday’s 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Pittsburgh:
We’ve got to make it harder on these guys.
“It’s got to hurt to play,” the veteran netminder told Newsday. “It was too easy.”
The Isles were outgunned early and often in their first postseason appearance since 2007.
Beau Bennett scored just 3:30 into the contest — on the power play — and Nabokov lasted less than two minutes into the second period before he was hooked, finishing with four goals allowed on 15 shots.
Afterward, he said the Isles simply didn’t challenge the Pens enough.
“We have to make it hard on them on every inch of the ice,” he explained. “It’s the only way we can win.”
The Isles won’t be happy with their overall performance, but perhaps most concerned about Nabokov’s play.
Arguably their second most valuable player during the regular season next to leading scorer John Tavares, the 37-year-old Russian was overaggressive and out of position on Jarome Iginla‘s first-period shot — which led to Pascal Dupuis‘ marker at 13:23.
(Nabokov also appeared shaken after taking an Iginla shot to the mask.)
He then proceeded to allow two goals in a 32-second stretch during the second frame that wiped out any chance of an Isles comeback.
Backup Kevin Poulin was inserted and made his postseason debut, but didn’t look much better. He allowed a bad-angle goal to Tanner Glass and simply isn’t a viable option should Nabokov continue to struggle.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Chicago’s goalie depth about to be tested.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
It really wasn’t.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:29 PM EST
Because he’s spent much of this season questioning his team.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
When Nashville loses, it loses big.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
No goals in 18 games for the Sabres.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Facing a lengthy suspension.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Bad news, especially given his history.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
He spent 16 years with and played over 600 games for the Flames.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
That’s the stadium in the ‘Peg.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 1
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 64
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)