May 1, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin scored nine goals and 33 points in 31 games this season. Most players would do almost anything for that level of production, but the 26-year-old Penguins forward isn’t happy.
“I want to show my best game,” Malkin told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “because this year was not great (for) me, but I have a chance to play better.”
Malkin scored 50 goals and 109 points in 75 games last season and won the Hart Trophy, Ted Lindsay Award, and Art Ross Trophy in recognition of his efforts. However, his Penguins ultimately lost their first-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers in six games.
“I think (about it) a lot,” Malkin admitted.
This series against the New York Islanders is a chance at redemption for the Penguins after failing to live up to the hype last season. They’re going into the playoffs with even higher expectations this year after comfortably earning the first seed and adding Jussi Jokinen, Jarome Iginla, Douglas Murray, and Brenden Morrow in separate trades.
Still, even with those additions, Malkin will be one of the key players in this series. He has the potential to be a hero, as he was in the 2009 postseason when the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, and it sounds like he’ll settle for nothing less from himself.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)