May 1, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin scored nine goals and 33 points in 31 games this season. Most players would do almost anything for that level of production, but the 26-year-old Penguins forward isn’t happy.
“I want to show my best game,” Malkin told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “because this year was not great (for) me, but I have a chance to play better.”
Malkin scored 50 goals and 109 points in 75 games last season and won the Hart Trophy, Ted Lindsay Award, and Art Ross Trophy in recognition of his efforts. However, his Penguins ultimately lost their first-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers in six games.
“I think (about it) a lot,” Malkin admitted.
This series against the New York Islanders is a chance at redemption for the Penguins after failing to live up to the hype last season. They’re going into the playoffs with even higher expectations this year after comfortably earning the first seed and adding Jussi Jokinen, Jarome Iginla, Douglas Murray, and Brenden Morrow in separate trades.
Still, even with those additions, Malkin will be one of the key players in this series. He has the potential to be a hero, as he was in the 2009 postseason when the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, and it sounds like he’ll settle for nothing less from himself.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)