May 1, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
It’s easy to hit the panic button after a tough playoff loss, especially when you haven’t experienced one in nine years.
That’s doubly true when that defeat happens to be a lopsided one like the Toronto Maple Leafs suffered to the Boston Bruins on Wednesday. Even so, that 4-1 outcome is still just one game, something Joffrey Lupul seemed aware of when speaking with Rogers Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
“This series is not over,” Lupul said. “There is plenty of belief in here.”
The Leafs can look at their first-round opponents for evidence that a team can bounce from dire circumstances. The 2011 Bruins avoided elimination in three different Game 7’s during their Stanley Cup run and lost two opening home games in a quarterfinal series against the Montreal Canadiens, yet they became champions that year.
Obviously, there’s no guarantee that Toronto will enjoy anything close to that run, yet they can soak in plenty of examples of teams stumbling before experiencing great successes.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
They have a lot of players on their roster with something to prove.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
There’s no timetable for his return.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
The former first round pick is entering the last season of his entry-level contract.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Chris Stewart seems to think so.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Arizona or Carolina could relocate according to the host.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Milano clears the air on deal with Columbus.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
To be implemented for 2014-15 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Calls out former coaches Marc Crawford, Alain Vigneault and John Tortorella
Aug 28, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
After a solid junior career, hopes to make the Sabres as an 18-year-old.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Last appeared in 10 games with the Montreal Canadiens during the 2012-13 season.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 9.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
They’re in the middle of a rebuilding process.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Of course, neither will be wearing a Sabres’ uniform – not yet at least.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
They’ve also appointed Don Sweeney as the AHL team’s new general manager.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
It matters given that they will start next season with a largely unchanged roster.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Ken Holland hasn’t been in contact with him lately, but that will change soon.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
He hasn’t played for them since 2007.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s a two-way deal.
Aug 27, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Mr. Hockey still reigns supreme in Detroit.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“I haven’t heard that.”
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)