May 1, 2013, 2:58 AM EST
Had it not been for the quality goaltending of Jonathan Quick, who knows how bad the L.A. Kings could’ve lost Tuesday in their first-round series opener against the St. Louis Blues.
But, after stopping 40 shots, many of them challenging, Quick made one mistake and it cost the Kings a win: he played the puck behind the net, ran out of time and options, then coughed it up to Alexander Steen, who scored to give St. Louis a 2-1 overtime win.
“It’s exactly what it looked like,” Quick told reporters in St. Louis. “I tried to make a pass. He blocked it and scored. I don’t have an option to the left; you try to make him make a decision. And he got the stick on it.”
In his post-game comments, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t place blame on Quick.
“I thought he played a great game,” Sutter told the L.A. Times. “It’s kind of ironic the two best players on the ice were in on the goal. And even there he tries to make a play. I think Steen’s stick tapped it.”
Perhaps there were greater forces at play in the result.
“The hockey gods took care of us today. They did,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told NHL.com. “We played a great hockey game.”
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 5
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 60
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 61
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)