May 1, 2013, 2:58 AM EDT
Had it not been for the quality goaltending of Jonathan Quick, who knows how bad the L.A. Kings could’ve lost Tuesday in their first-round series opener against the St. Louis Blues.
But, after stopping 40 shots, many of them challenging, Quick made one mistake and it cost the Kings a win: he played the puck behind the net, ran out of time and options, then coughed it up to Alexander Steen, who scored to give St. Louis a 2-1 overtime win.
“It’s exactly what it looked like,” Quick told reporters in St. Louis. “I tried to make a pass. He blocked it and scored. I don’t have an option to the left; you try to make him make a decision. And he got the stick on it.”
In his post-game comments, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t place blame on Quick.
“I thought he played a great game,” Sutter told the L.A. Times. “It’s kind of ironic the two best players on the ice were in on the goal. And even there he tries to make a play. I think Steen’s stick tapped it.”
Perhaps there were greater forces at play in the result.
“The hockey gods took care of us today. They did,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told NHL.com. “We played a great hockey game.”
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)