May 1, 2013, 2:58 AM EDT
Had it not been for the quality goaltending of Jonathan Quick, who knows how bad the L.A. Kings could’ve lost Tuesday in their first-round series opener against the St. Louis Blues.
But, after stopping 40 shots, many of them challenging, Quick made one mistake and it cost the Kings a win: he played the puck behind the net, ran out of time and options, then coughed it up to Alexander Steen, who scored to give St. Louis a 2-1 overtime win.
“It’s exactly what it looked like,” Quick told reporters in St. Louis. “I tried to make a pass. He blocked it and scored. I don’t have an option to the left; you try to make him make a decision. And he got the stick on it.”
In his post-game comments, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t place blame on Quick.
“I thought he played a great game,” Sutter told the L.A. Times. “It’s kind of ironic the two best players on the ice were in on the goal. And even there he tries to make a play. I think Steen’s stick tapped it.”
Perhaps there were greater forces at play in the result.
“The hockey gods took care of us today. They did,” Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock told NHL.com. “We played a great hockey game.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)