May 1, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
After a one-year hiatus, the Frozen Fury is back.
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Wednesday as the Kings announced the return of their annual Vegas game — well, make that “games.”
On Friday, Sept. 27, the Kings will kick off Frozen Fury XV with a game against the New York Rangers. The following day, LA will host the Colorado Avalanche, with both contests taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The Frozen Fury was first played in 1997 and has been a staple of Los Angeles’ preseason over the last 15 years.
Last year, the event (Frozen Fury 15) was canceled due to the NHL work stoppage.
This year will act as a sort of re-do, and will be the first in a new five-year contract between the Kings and MGM Grand Hotel & Casino.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)