May 1, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
After a one-year hiatus, the Frozen Fury is back.
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Wednesday as the Kings announced the return of their annual Vegas game — well, make that “games.”
On Friday, Sept. 27, the Kings will kick off Frozen Fury XV with a game against the New York Rangers. The following day, LA will host the Colorado Avalanche, with both contests taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The Frozen Fury was first played in 1997 and has been a staple of Los Angeles’ preseason over the last 15 years.
Last year, the event (Frozen Fury 15) was canceled due to the NHL work stoppage.
This year will act as a sort of re-do, and will be the first in a new five-year contract between the Kings and MGM Grand Hotel & Casino.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)