May 1, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
After a one-year hiatus, the Frozen Fury is back.
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Wednesday as the Kings announced the return of their annual Vegas game — well, make that “games.”
On Friday, Sept. 27, the Kings will kick off Frozen Fury XV with a game against the New York Rangers. The following day, LA will host the Colorado Avalanche, with both contests taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The Frozen Fury was first played in 1997 and has been a staple of Los Angeles’ preseason over the last 15 years.
Last year, the event (Frozen Fury 15) was canceled due to the NHL work stoppage.
This year will act as a sort of re-do, and will be the first in a new five-year contract between the Kings and MGM Grand Hotel & Casino.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25