May 1, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff faced the music today in a season-ending press conference.
After the Jets missed the playoffs for the second straight time in their new city — not to mention the four straight times they missed out in Atlanta before moving north — Cheveldayoff believes his team needs to learn how to treat every game of the regular season with importance.
“We got off to a reasonably good start and then the inconsistency crept in and we started to go in a different direction,” Cheveldayoff said, per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“At one point in time we were going to win the division, at one point in time we were going to draft first overall. At another point in time we were going to win the division again and then we were only a couple of losses away from being in last place.
“We needed to find a way to be more consistent.”
In a possibly related story, Cheveldayoff was non-committal when asked about a contract extension for head coach Claude Noel.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 3
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)