May 1, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are putting on a clinic so far in their Game 1 match against the New York Islanders, but it wasn’t all good news on Wednesday.
While it’s too early to tell how serious the injury might be, James Neal limped off the ice during the second period, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
There’s no word from the team yet, but considering what is (as of this writing) a 5-0 lead, it’s unlikely that the Penguins will risk his health tonight either way. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe provides an educated guess regarding when the injury occurred:
Still no signs of James Neal. Was slash and hit. I thought it was the slash that hurt him. Could be wrong. Given score, likely won’t be back
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 2, 2013
The fact that he appears to be dealing with a lower-body injury might or might not be a good thing since his last issue was upper-body-related.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)