May 1, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are putting on a clinic so far in their Game 1 match against the New York Islanders, but it wasn’t all good news on Wednesday.
While it’s too early to tell how serious the injury might be, James Neal limped off the ice during the second period, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
There’s no word from the team yet, but considering what is (as of this writing) a 5-0 lead, it’s unlikely that the Penguins will risk his health tonight either way. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe provides an educated guess regarding when the injury occurred:
Still no signs of James Neal. Was slash and hit. I thought it was the slash that hurt him. Could be wrong. Given score, likely won’t be back
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 2, 2013
The fact that he appears to be dealing with a lower-body injury might or might not be a good thing since his last issue was upper-body-related.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)