May 1, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are putting on a clinic so far in their Game 1 match against the New York Islanders, but it wasn’t all good news on Wednesday.
While it’s too early to tell how serious the injury might be, James Neal limped off the ice during the second period, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
There’s no word from the team yet, but considering what is (as of this writing) a 5-0 lead, it’s unlikely that the Penguins will risk his health tonight either way. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe provides an educated guess regarding when the injury occurred:
Still no signs of James Neal. Was slash and hit. I thought it was the slash that hurt him. Could be wrong. Given score, likely won’t be back
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 2, 2013
The fact that he appears to be dealing with a lower-body injury might or might not be a good thing since his last issue was upper-body-related.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)