May 1, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are putting on a clinic so far in their Game 1 match against the New York Islanders, but it wasn’t all good news on Wednesday.
While it’s too early to tell how serious the injury might be, James Neal limped off the ice during the second period, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
There’s no word from the team yet, but considering what is (as of this writing) a 5-0 lead, it’s unlikely that the Penguins will risk his health tonight either way. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe provides an educated guess regarding when the injury occurred:
Still no signs of James Neal. Was slash and hit. I thought it was the slash that hurt him. Could be wrong. Given score, likely won’t be back
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 2, 2013
The fact that he appears to be dealing with a lower-body injury might or might not be a good thing since his last issue was upper-body-related.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 3
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 10
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)