May 1, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are putting on a clinic so far in their Game 1 match against the New York Islanders, but it wasn’t all good news on Wednesday.
While it’s too early to tell how serious the injury might be, James Neal limped off the ice during the second period, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
There’s no word from the team yet, but considering what is (as of this writing) a 5-0 lead, it’s unlikely that the Penguins will risk his health tonight either way. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe provides an educated guess regarding when the injury occurred:
Still no signs of James Neal. Was slash and hit. I thought it was the slash that hurt him. Could be wrong. Given score, likely won’t be back
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 2, 2013
The fact that he appears to be dealing with a lower-body injury might or might not be a good thing since his last issue was upper-body-related.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)